You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Recording and Hearing Audio

When recording the screen on a MacBook, the internal audio isn't recorded. With Soundflower, I can record on-screen sound without a problem. I do this by setting the laptop's output and QuickTime Player's input to Soundflower. That said, I won't be able to hear anything that happens on screen. Is there a way to play audio on 2 outputs?

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 8:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2021 8:26 PM

Okay, never mind. Found the solution myself. It turns out that you can use Audio MIDI Setup to do that. If anyone else has the same question, just go to Audio MIDI Setup and add a new Audio Device. Choose Multi-Output Device, and select the audio recording software and a speaker (in my case, Soundflower and one of my AirPods).

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 18, 2021 8:26 PM in response to Eisig_Liang

Okay, never mind. Found the solution myself. It turns out that you can use Audio MIDI Setup to do that. If anyone else has the same question, just go to Audio MIDI Setup and add a new Audio Device. Choose Multi-Output Device, and select the audio recording software and a speaker (in my case, Soundflower and one of my AirPods).

Jun 19, 2021 8:15 AM in response to Eisig_Liang

i also used to use soundflower. but it is a kernel extension. apple has said that those will soon be coming to end of life. so, once that happens you will need to get a replacement. you can save this link for future use: BlackHole Virtual Audio Driver. it works exactly the same as you're used to with soundflower. and you set it up the same way. it's totally free. the developer does ask for an e-mail address where they can send you the download link. it also works on M1 machines if yours is one of those. and finally, even though they ask for your e-mail address, they haven't sent me even one spam mail.

Recording and Hearing Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.