You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro (Late 2018) suffering from the infamous Purple screen of death

Hi guys,

I have an late 2018 MacBook Pro that suddenly started suffering from the purple screen of death which apparently is a thing - didn't know until mine started doing it and I google it.

I have already had the entire logic board replaced on this computer on a separate occasion and it seems like this model is just plain faulty. Due to the fact that it is out of warranty my local Apple Repair shop wants roughly $1200 for replacing the screen - which i first of all find completely insane since its almost half of what I paid for the computer back then. Secondly i very much looks like an engineering fault and I would expect Apple to cover it despite of the warranty running out. Has anyone successfully had it fixed without paying or are the alternatives.

I find it completely nuts that an almost $4000 computer needs a $1200 repair within 3 years of its lifetime.

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jun 22, 2021 8:34 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jun 22, 2021 7:19 PM in response to norsted

Years ago you may have had some luck getting Apple to perform a free repair, but the Apple of today won't help you with a free repair. If that estimate if in US dollars, then I'm guessing you were quoted either a Mail-in Repair or quoted for Accidental Damage. If you were quoted a Mail-in Repair, then see if you can find a local Apple Authorized Service Provider who actually performs the repair within their own shop as the cost may be a bit less (it will still be expensive, but not quite that expensive-- maybe more like $800 US).

Macbook Pro (Late 2018) suffering from the infamous Purple screen of death

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.