You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Dell Monitor not Working w. MacBook Pro

I am trying to connect an older Dell monitor that I got for free online with a new work computer and am having some serious difficulties - hoping someone here can let me know what I can try differently or if the two systems are just not compatible...

I'm currently using a 2019 MacBook Pro (running Big Sur 11.4) with a Dell P2414H monitor - connected by a DisplayPort cable and an Insignia DisplayPort to USB adapter (with appropriate drivers installed), as well as basic Apple USB-A to USB-C "dongle" to finally connect to my laptop (I know there's a lot there but, theoretically, I figured the setup should be alright if the systems are able to link up).

Any advice is appreciated, thanks in advance!

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 11:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 23, 2021 11:59 AM

The USB-C to USB-A at the computer kills any ability to drive a display of ANY description.

You can not "stack" adapters. In general, you must make the leap from computer output port to display input port in at most ONE adapter.

That display appears to have DisplayPort or DVI interfaces. use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort adapter/cable from the computer's USB-C port.

If you need it, Mini DisplayPort to [Full Size] DisplayPort is not an additional conversion, just a re-wire.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 23, 2021 11:59 AM in response to skobuffs2021

The USB-C to USB-A at the computer kills any ability to drive a display of ANY description.

You can not "stack" adapters. In general, you must make the leap from computer output port to display input port in at most ONE adapter.

That display appears to have DisplayPort or DVI interfaces. use DisplayPort or Mini DisplayPort adapter/cable from the computer's USB-C port.

If you need it, Mini DisplayPort to [Full Size] DisplayPort is not an additional conversion, just a re-wire.

Dell Monitor not Working w. MacBook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.