You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I stop two factor-authentication from sending a code to my other devices and just text me a code?

I have 6 iPads that we use for work and are spread out across the country. I have set the two factor authentication up with two trusted phone numbers. However, instead of getting texts to one of those numbers I am getting a code on the one or more of the other iPads. This is really inconvenient if I am going to have to reach out to each employee to ask if they got a code. Is there a way to only get a code texted to one or both of the phone numbers and remove the code sent to the iPads altogether?

iPad Air 2, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 5:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2021 10:48 AM

No, do not sign the other iPhones into the same Apple ID. Apple IDs should not be shared at all.

If the other people in the group are using the iPads, the iPads should be signed in to their own Apple ID and not a common one.

You can setup the phone numbers from the other iPhones as trusted phone numbers to get an SMS or a voice Call on them with the code if that is what you want. Though I don't think that's it.

You cannot stop the other trusted devices from also getting the code at the same time however. Trusted devices should be used by one person only.

If the other devices are not used by the same person, then they should not be using the same Apple. ID at all.

If these are company owned devices, they should be managed so each person can use their own Apple ID. And each person gets their own 2 factor authentication code on the devices they use.

Apple Configurator can help you Manage devices so each person can use their own Apple IDs on them, and you can wipe them when they are returned.

Link-> What's new in Apple Configurator - Apple Support

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 25, 2021 10:48 AM in response to sara_mcbeth

No, do not sign the other iPhones into the same Apple ID. Apple IDs should not be shared at all.

If the other people in the group are using the iPads, the iPads should be signed in to their own Apple ID and not a common one.

You can setup the phone numbers from the other iPhones as trusted phone numbers to get an SMS or a voice Call on them with the code if that is what you want. Though I don't think that's it.

You cannot stop the other trusted devices from also getting the code at the same time however. Trusted devices should be used by one person only.

If the other devices are not used by the same person, then they should not be using the same Apple. ID at all.

If these are company owned devices, they should be managed so each person can use their own Apple ID. And each person gets their own 2 factor authentication code on the devices they use.

Apple Configurator can help you Manage devices so each person can use their own Apple IDs on them, and you can wipe them when they are returned.

Link-> What's new in Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Jun 25, 2021 6:00 AM in response to sara_mcbeth

If the devices are all signed into the same Apple ID/iCloud account, they are all trusted devices and they should all get the code and you should not have to do anything. I have four trusted devices and when I receive a code it goes to all four devices.

If they are all signed into the same ID, you cannot change how the codes will come to each or any of the devices.

Can I stop two factor-authentication from sending a code to my other devices and just text me a code?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.