You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Preview App Prevent Me From Highlighting

I have a PDF and I use Preview app to add text, highlight, underline, insert an arrow, box etc and I have been doing this for many years and it is my best companion app for learning and working.

I do this 99% on my desktop.

This morning I was rushing to finish reading a PDF, and so I open it up on my iCloud drive on my iPhone XR. I use the highlighter to highlight a short sentence. Close it.

When I return to my desk, the changes made on the iPhone appear on my desktop Preview app. That is great. The power of cloud technology.

But I am also disappointed that I am no longer able to use the highlighter on the Preview app anymore.

Is this because I edit it on the iOS device and they are not compatible?

Does anyone have experienced this before?

MacBook Pro

Posted on Jun 26, 2021 7:41 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2021 2:00 PM

Hi jameshoty,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities. It appears that the highlight options isn't available in Preview, so we'd like to see how we can help. Does this happen with one document or multiple?Try closing preview and reopening it to see if you can use the feature. If the issue persists, restart your Mac. Sometimes this simple step can resolve unexpected behavior. If the issue persists, start your Mac in safe mode with these steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac. This step will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down what may be causing the issue. After starting in safe mode, restart normally to see if the issue persists.

If you need more help, reply to this message.

Take care.

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 27, 2021 2:00 PM in response to jameshoty

Hi jameshoty,

Thanks for participating in the Apple Support Communities. It appears that the highlight options isn't available in Preview, so we'd like to see how we can help. Does this happen with one document or multiple?Try closing preview and reopening it to see if you can use the feature. If the issue persists, restart your Mac. Sometimes this simple step can resolve unexpected behavior. If the issue persists, start your Mac in safe mode with these steps: How to use safe mode on your Mac. This step will start up your Mac so that it performs certain checks and prevents some software from automatically loading or opening, which could help narrow down what may be causing the issue. After starting in safe mode, restart normally to see if the issue persists.

If you need more help, reply to this message.

Take care.

Preview App Prevent Me From Highlighting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.