You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to use iTunes (and a cable) to Backup my iPhone to iCloud -- to iCloud and not "to my Computer"

Hi everyone,

I know that using iTunes, I can backup my iPhone "to" my computer or/and I can sync the contents of my iPhone and iTunes. But I neither want to back up to my computer nor mess around with sync'ing at all (I'm wary of potentially overwriting when all I need to do is a "plain backup to iCloud").

Please -- if there is a way -- how on earth can I achieve this? I mean, how can I back up my iPhone to iCloud, using iTunes...given that I don't want to sync anything and I don't want to backup the phone to my computer? In case you are wondering, I know that directly backing up to iCloud -- automatically/periodically or "Back up now" -- is straightforward when done from the iCloud Backup function on the iPhone, but my phone appears to have an issue that's not allowing me do this by simply sliding ON that function, yet I have ample space on both my device and my purchased iCloud subscription. So, I'm left with having to do this via iTunes/cord. I just want to do it without downloading anything to my MacBook and without syncing anything. 

Thanks in advance for your help.

Regards,

Double-O.

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 5:47 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 28, 2021 9:41 AM

Double-O wrote:

Hi everyone,

I know that using iTunes, I can backup my iPhone "to" my computer or/and I can sync the contents of my iPhone and iTunes. But I neither want to back up to my computer nor mess around with sync'ing at all (I'm wary of potentially overwriting when all I need to do is a "plain backup to iCloud").

Please -- if there is a way -- how on earth can I achieve this? I mean, how can I back up my iPhone to iCloud, using iTunes...given that I don't want to sync anything and I don't want to backup the phone to my computer? In case you are wondering, I know that directly backing up to iCloud -- automatically/periodically or "Back up now" -- is straightforward when done from the iCloud Backup function on the iPhone, but my phone appears to have an issue that's not allowing me do this by simply sliding ON that function, yet I have ample space on both my device and my purchased iCloud subscription. So, I'm left with having to do this via iTunes/cord. I just want to do it without downloading anything to my MacBook and without syncing anything. 

Regards,
Double-O.

That's not how it works. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you have issue backing up to the cloud read here If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 28, 2021 9:41 AM in response to Double-O

Double-O wrote:

Hi everyone,

Regards,
Double-O.

That's not how it works. How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

If you have issue backing up to the cloud read here If you can't back up to iCloud - Apple Support

Jun 28, 2021 3:19 PM in response to razmee209

Thank you, razmee209.

I know backing up to iCloud is doable using WiFi but, as I said, my phone is refusing to cooperate despite ample available space on it and on my iCloud. Because there is a "Back up to iCloud" radio button on iTunes, I was/am of the impression that one may possibly use iTunes to back up directly to the cloud (not only to one's computer).

I didn't know that it doesn't work that way. I was incredulous to that. It's shocking. Thanks for your note and guidance.

Regards,

Double-O

How to use iTunes (and a cable) to Backup my iPhone to iCloud -- to iCloud and not "to my Computer"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.