You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Formula showing column heading instead of cell reference.

When I click on a cell to add it to a formula I get a column title instead of a cell reference and it only happens on this cell, why is that happening and how do I fix it?

iMac, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 11:02 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jun 29, 2021 11:34 AM

That is a cell reference. It is "using the header names as labels" to create a cell reference that some might find more meaningful than the standard "A1" kind of reference. I personally don't use it. It can only do it if the header names are unique. In your screenshot there is only one 6/20/2021 but several of the other dates.

Numbers/Preferences/General

Uncheck "use header names as labels"

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jun 29, 2021 11:34 AM in response to Skipb

That is a cell reference. It is "using the header names as labels" to create a cell reference that some might find more meaningful than the standard "A1" kind of reference. I personally don't use it. It can only do it if the header names are unique. In your screenshot there is only one 6/20/2021 but several of the other dates.

Numbers/Preferences/General

Uncheck "use header names as labels"

Formula showing column heading instead of cell reference.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.