You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (Late 2015) lags; no visible cause in activity monitor

Hi!

i am using an iMac (late 2015) with the latest updates. The hard drive is not an SSD or even Fusion, so a slower response is expected while using Final Cut Pro and iMovie. The problem is that it takes a very long time to log in to user account; logging out and logging in on the next user account also takes a very long time.

Further, clicking on ANY element in the UI often makes the computer unresponsive. Even after the login has completed.

other type of lags in which this problem manifests through;

*typing lags (safari for instance)

*slow opening of apps

*slow ui response inside the app.

*beach ball shows up on most clicks

*intermittently, the computer runs acceptable and with an anticipated speed considering a spinning drive and older Mac. But that is rare.

*I have checked for malware with malwarebytes.

*I have run memtestx86 on boot; no issues found.

*no issues found with Apple hardware diagnostics.

*I have reset NVRAM and SMC; did. not help.

*I have used Onyx but not apps like cleanmymac (not in the last two years

*reinstalling the os and importing the user accounts from time machine has not helped.

+There is NO visible resource hog in processor percentage or memory, nor hard drive. This is beyond my knowledge of how to troubleshoot the problem. However; having a time machine backup, I will be happy to get any help available, including troubleshooting steps which may need reinstall of the OS.

Any help/suggestion appreciated! Thanks 😊

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 1:23 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 1, 2021 10:41 AM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

-Jack

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 1, 2021 10:41 AM in response to capslock286

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I believe we need to proceed with an EtreCheck report. EtreCheck is a useful App to and identify issues, both hardware and software. It is trusted by many users. Please follow the steps outlined below:

1. Navigate to: https://etrecheck.com and get the free version of EtreCheckPro.
  2. Download it. It is a free and trusted app. It is often recommended here on Apple Support Communities. 
  3. Open EtreCheck, and before running the report, be sure to check “Allow full Drive Access” at the bottom of the EtreCheckPro window.
  4. Run the report, and put it in a post, as seen here: https://discussions.apple.com/docs/DOC-250000211. We will then examine the report for issues in your Mac.

-Jack

Jul 2, 2021 2:45 PM in response to capslock286

Notes:

• Please re-enable automatic Time Machine backups. After all, that's the point of Time Machine.
  • Java components are still installed. Follow the EtreCheck prompts to remove.
  • Intego components are still installed.
  • Delete AppCleaner.
  • Delete any other anti-virus software.

Other than that, the reason your iMac is very slow is due to the 5400 rpm hard drive. Very slow. If you use an external SSD and run macOS from that, it will make your Mac 10 to 30 times faster for storage. For more info, instructions, and what external SSD to buy, please read: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as y… - Apple Community.

-Jack

Jul 4, 2021 12:07 PM in response to capslock286

First, there is no reason to ever install or run any 3rd party "cleaning", "optimizing", "speed-up", anti-virus, VPN or security apps on your Mac.  This user tip describes what you need to know and do in order to protect your Mac: Effective defenses against malware and other threats - Apple Community.  

There are no known viruses, i.e. self propagating, for Macs.  There are, however, adware and malware which require the user to install although unwittingly most of the time thru sneaky links, etc.   

Anti Virus developers try to group all types as viruses into their ad campaigns of fear.  They do a poor job of the detecting and isolating the adware and malware.  Since there are no viruses these apps use up a lot of system resources searching for what is non-existent and adversely affect system and app performance.

There is one app, Malwarebytes, which was developed by a long time contributor to these forums and a highly respected member of the computer security community, that is desshoigned solely to seek out adware and known malware and remove it.  The free version is more than adequate for most users.  

Also, unless you're using a true VPN tunnel, such as between you and your employer's or bank's servers, they are useless from a privacy standpoint: Public VPN's are anything but private.  

That being said you've installed a bevy of "junk" apps:

2021-06-05 Mac Washing Machine Secure X9 (1.0)

2021-06-05 TotalAV (1.0)

2021-06-05 Avast Security (14.9)

2021-06-05 AvastHUB

2021-06-13 Avira Security

Uninstall all of those apps according to the developer's instructions.

When done boot into Safe Mode according to Start up your Mac in safe mode - Apple Support and then reboot normally.

Jul 1, 2021 6:09 AM in response to capslock286

Hello, capslock286.

Maybe we can figure out what’s going on with your Mac.  It could be anything from a simple malware installation to a hardware failure. Some things are fairly easy to fix.

You should start with an EtreCheck evaluation of your Mac.

EtreCheck is a diagnostic app that gathers and reports important debugging information about your Macintosh. It is very highly regarded and meant to be used with Apple Support Communities to help others help you troubleshoot and resolve your Mac problems.

Please navigate to EtreCheck.com and download the free version of EtreCheck. Once you’ve run the app and created your report please post it with your reply to this message. 

You must upload the full report. For instructions on how to attach your EtreCheck report to your reply, please click  How to use Add Text when posting…

We can use the EtreCheck report to look for the more obvious things that may be causing your problem and advise how to correct them.

Jul 2, 2021 8:27 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

Thanks for the response! Please find the EtreCheck report. Regarding the antivirus programs; these were installed and then removed. I am not sure why these still appear in the software which have been installed (maybe just to show which programs have previously been installed).

Regarding Java; this was installed because specific open source application for Macports GUI was needed. It has since been removed from the computer and I could therefore uninstall Java if that is contributing to the slow-down.

Jul 4, 2021 9:53 AM in response to Jack-19

Even with an SSD connected through USB 3.0, the issue is now non-existent. The speed gained by using an external SSD is beyond expectation, actually. Thank you for the help in isolating the actual issue.

It is well worth spending an afternoon making the switch to an external SSD, rather than watching the beach ball when making the simplest task on the computer.

Jul 4, 2021 2:35 PM in response to Old Toad

Hi,

thanks for your help and providing insight in why no additional security software is needed. A reinstall system has mitigated the issue with stubborn antivirus software not being removed thoroughly. The use of an external SSD as the macOS-system disk, also proved that rotational hard drive is too slow to be functional as a primary hard drive. The issue with lags has now been solved.

Best regards, Emanuel

iMac (Late 2015) lags; no visible cause in activity monitor

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.