You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPad suddenly locked

My iPad suddenly locked and is asking for a password for an activation lock. I entered my apple Id and password, but it says my password is not recognized. The message says use the password that was used to set up the iPad. I have obviously changed my password since then. How can I possibly find out the original password I used when setting up. I cannot get into my IPad and I am getting very frustrated having spent a few hours already to try and unlock this. It said that I had used "find my iPhone". I have not got an iPhone.

Please help me someone

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 4:45 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 4, 2021 8:38 AM

Your AppleID (and associated password) is the key to all Apple Services - including iCloud. For most users, the AppleID credentials will be in regular use.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be turned off:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. With documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple may be prepared to assist - otherwise they and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have recently introduced a new portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

However, recovery of the AppleID credentials should be possible…

If you have forgotten your AppleID or associated password, these can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com/

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com/

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 4, 2021 8:38 AM in response to Kaaallen

Your AppleID (and associated password) is the key to all Apple Services - including iCloud. For most users, the AppleID credentials will be in regular use.

Here are the Apple support pages that outline the Activation Lock - and the only mechanisms by which it can be turned off:

Activation Lock for iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Turn off Activation Lock – Apple Support

As you will discover, unless you are the owner of the AppleID that was last used to activate the device, you’ll not be able to defeat or bypass the Activation Lock. With documentary evidence that you are the original owner (such as sales receipt showing the serial number), Apple may be prepared to assist - otherwise they and nobody here will be able to help you.

If you have the necessary documentation, Apple have recently introduced a new portal though which you may be able to request release of an Activation Lock:

How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support & start an Activation Lock support request.

However, recovery of the AppleID credentials should be possible…

If you have forgotten your AppleID or associated password, these can be recovered here:

https://iforgot.apple.com/

To recover your credentials, you’ll need access to any one of the following:

• Your primary email address mailbox that corresponds with your AppleID
  • Any of the secondary/recovery email addresses that should be configured for your AppleID account
  • Any of the trusted telephone numbers (fixed line or Cellular/Mobile) that are associated with your AppleID

Unless you AppleID account has not been fully/correctly configured, or has been seriously neglected, recovery of the AppleID and password should not be difficult.

More information about recovery of your AppleID:

If you forgot your Apple ID - Apple Support

More information about recovery of your AppleID password:

If you forgot your Apple ID password - Apple Support

When you recover access to your credentials, you would be well advised to log-in to your AppleID account from a web browser - and verify/update any email addresses and trusted telephone numbers:

https://appleid.apple.com/

Jul 4, 2021 4:49 AM in response to Kaaallen

If you are talking about "activation lock" (an anti-theft measure), neither we, just users like you, nor Apple can help you, sorry, unless you are the original owner AND you still have the proof of purchase (receipt/invoice reporting your device’s IMEI or Serial Number). Should be this case, start your request using this link: https://al-support.apple.com/#/additional-support

Shouldn’t be this case, activation lock can be removed only by the previous owner, with the credentials that were used to activate that iPhone/iPad. Without those credentials, that device is useless to you.

You can also take a look at this support article:--> How to remove Activation Lock - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Jul 4, 2021 5:10 AM in response to ProustGiulio

Thank you Giulio for your comments

How difficult can Apple make it. I have this iPad for 6 years and not had this problem before. Why put on an activation Lock when I have had it from new (no previous Owner) and how can anyone remember the original password to reset it. Why can't Apple accept the current password, after all that is what passwords are for. I do not have proof of purchase after all this time. I can go to apple support and they can open my iPad but I have to accept that I will lose all my data, what use is that?

Well Apple, I hope you read these forums because I will never buy another Apple product if this is how you treat your customers. There are other devices just as good.

Jul 4, 2021 5:49 AM in response to Kaaallen

It’s “hard” because it’s intended to keep others OUT of your device.

Understand the frustration, but how did your iPad get Activation Locked?

Was someone else attempting to gain entry without your knowledge?

Has your AppleID and password possibly been compromised? (Try logging-in to your account at https://appleid.apple.com/ )

[It’s doubtful that you “forgot your device passcode” since you have to enter it fairly regularly.]

Regardless, your AppleID and Password is the next logical “level up” security-wise.

Jul 4, 2021 8:26 AM in response to Chattanoogan

Hi Chattanoogan,

Don't know how it got locked. just went to turn it on and there it was. I do know my apple ID and password and change the password regularly. I think that not many people will remember the password they used 6 years ago. perhaps Apple should add another way to identify yourself, but unfortunately they only offer the one method and if you can't remember the original password you used to set your IPad up, you have had it. Seems crazy to me as they encourage you to change your password regularly. Maybe they hope you will buy a new one, but for me "goodbye Apple". Just ordered another device which has nothing to do with Apple.

My iPad suddenly locked

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.