You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Forgotten firmware password

I have a 2011 MacBook Air 13 inch on which I set a firmware password many years ago. All went until an OS update failed and my MacBook could not be restarted. I then found that, although I had made a note of my firmware password, it had got lost over the years. I now have a replacement machine, but there are photos on my old machine that I would like to be able to recover. I am aware that I may be able to get this fixed at a Genius Bar, but the only proof I have now of my purchase ( which was in the USA) is a copy of my application for Apple Care Protection. Will this suffice, and will I have to leave my machine at the Apple Store for removal of the password?

MacBook Air 11″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 8:55 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 6, 2021 9:02 AM

If you lost or forgot your firmware password --> How to set a firmware password on your Mac - https://support.apple.com/HT204455#forgot

You will have to ask the Genius Bar where you take it what they will accept.

1 reply

Forgotten firmware password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.