You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I set up an external HDD connected to a router as a Time Capsule backup?

I own a Time Capsule which experienced overheating. Am certain it was an issue with the in-built fan.

Sent it into the local Apple Store and all they did was air-spray it to remove dust. Couldn't help further as they no longer sell or support the device.

I own several routers at home (ASUS & Linksys) and am trying to attach a newly bought external HDD to the router and trying to get my Mac's Time Capsule to talk to them and use the external HDD connected to the router as Time Capsule backup.

I am also trying to set the HDD up so that I could download my entire song & photo library which is currently residing on iCloud to a physical drive.

I would be most grateful if anyone could provide some guidance. Sadly my Time capsule is now nothing more than a paperweight... =(

MacBook Air

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 4:17 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 8, 2021 6:30 AM

Unless your router supports the Time Machine over SMB specification, it won’t work. I don’t think there are any that do.

For the iCloud data, I would get a drive, format it for use on a Mac, then set the Mac in a corner somewhere (plugged in), and download the data. ICloud Photos has a download function. I’m not sure about Music.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 8, 2021 6:30 AM in response to Kentwk

Unless your router supports the Time Machine over SMB specification, it won’t work. I don’t think there are any that do.

For the iCloud data, I would get a drive, format it for use on a Mac, then set the Mac in a corner somewhere (plugged in), and download the data. ICloud Photos has a download function. I’m not sure about Music.

How do I set up an external HDD connected to a router as a Time Capsule backup?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.