You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Home sharing problem from Imac.

I haven’t found the same problem searching forums so I need to ask.

I created some movies in iMovie on my 2015 Imac. I want to view use home sharing to view on AppleTV. I cannot get them to display in the computers app on AppleTV. Other previous movies I created a few years ago are still there and will play normally. I have tried placing the movies directly in the same Home videos folder that contains the working movies, but still won’t display. I then tried to watch them on my iPad, but had the same issue — it is as if the added movie was not there. Any ideas?

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Jul 10, 2021 10:08 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 5:13 AM

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is your macOS version for the iMac? Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

The Home Sharing content has to be added to the library, regardless of where the file is, because it is the library that is shared. This is a bit different for macOS Mojave or earlier (iTunes), compared to macOS Catalina or later (Apple TV app).

The shared file has to be compatible with both the Mac (iTunes/TV app) and the Apple TV (Computers app). Your best bet is H.264 AVC (not ProRes!) video with AAC audio, in an MP4/MOV/M4V ‘container’, with resolution of 1080p or less.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2021 5:13 AM in response to phoe

What is your model Apple TV? Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

What is your macOS version for the iMac? Find out which macOS your Mac is using - Apple Support

The Home Sharing content has to be added to the library, regardless of where the file is, because it is the library that is shared. This is a bit different for macOS Mojave or earlier (iTunes), compared to macOS Catalina or later (Apple TV app).

The shared file has to be compatible with both the Mac (iTunes/TV app) and the Apple TV (Computers app). Your best bet is H.264 AVC (not ProRes!) video with AAC audio, in an MP4/MOV/M4V ‘container’, with resolution of 1080p or less.

Home sharing problem from Imac.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.