You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making an external bootable SSD, 2019 27 iMac, security settings?

On 2019 27 iMac under Startup Security Utility (Big Sur 11.4), only the firmware password option is shown, nothing else. How do you change external boot settings on this iMac?

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 11:41 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 11, 2021 5:21 PM

yes, i misunderstood your question. we're on the same page now.

Saint Martin wrote:

Just the top portion, not the Secure boot and External boot options.

the secure boot and external boot selectable options are only available on macs with the T2 chip installed. in startup security utility, only the firmware password protection option is available on machines that were made before the T2 chip was introduced. that's why i didn't understand your question until i read P. Philips' response. my machine also pre-dates the T2 chip.

6 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 11, 2021 5:21 PM in response to Saint Martin

yes, i misunderstood your question. we're on the same page now.

Saint Martin wrote:

Just the top portion, not the Secure boot and External boot options.

the secure boot and external boot selectable options are only available on macs with the T2 chip installed. in startup security utility, only the firmware password protection option is available on machines that were made before the T2 chip was introduced. that's why i didn't understand your question until i read P. Philips' response. my machine also pre-dates the T2 chip.

Jul 11, 2021 12:28 PM in response to Saint Martin

i'm not sure if this is what you're asking. but you open System Preferences > Startup Disk and choose which drive you want to use as your startup disk.

if you need to use the other disk, restart the mac and after the startup chime, press and hold the "option" key until you see the choices of startup disk. then when done using that disk, just restart the mac and it will boot into the disk chosen in "startup disk".

Jul 11, 2021 4:29 PM in response to PRP_53

Just the top portion, not the Secure boot and External boot options. Was trying to make a bootable external SSD using CCCloner before trying to fix split fusion drive. Didn't work the first time so was trying to see if this was the problem. Worked the second time though!

Still curious why the complete options don't show up. I've seen another poster w 2019 27 iMac with similar problem.

Making an external bootable SSD, 2019 27 iMac, security settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.