You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

transferring from Mac to Mac Air

I am getting a Mac Air delivered soon and do not want to transfer everything from my Mac to the new laptop. My Mac is so disorganized and cluttered that I want to take the time at a later time to purge files and delete/organize photos.

I do have iCloud and have everything backed up to that. Am I able to SELECTIVELY transfer files and photos? Or do I just access what I need through iCloud, which I don't thoroughly understand?

(Please understand I am old and struggle to understand technology so please be clear in any explanations.)

Thanks so much!

Heidi

iMac 27″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 3:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 12, 2021 4:49 PM

Do you have a Time Machine (TM) backup? When you start up your new Mac it will ask if you want to transfer your settings, files, etc. from your old Mac using Time Machine. You can select Applications, files, other and system & network settings. If you do not want the files then just uncheck that category. You can later copy the files you want from your old Mac to the new one as needed. Same for the apps, etc. If you have not made a TM backup I suggest you do that now and have it ready. iCloud does not backup all the info on your Mac. It only really syncs the info that you have selected in your iCloud preferences.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 12, 2021 4:49 PM in response to lovesboxerdogs

Do you have a Time Machine (TM) backup? When you start up your new Mac it will ask if you want to transfer your settings, files, etc. from your old Mac using Time Machine. You can select Applications, files, other and system & network settings. If you do not want the files then just uncheck that category. You can later copy the files you want from your old Mac to the new one as needed. Same for the apps, etc. If you have not made a TM backup I suggest you do that now and have it ready. iCloud does not backup all the info on your Mac. It only really syncs the info that you have selected in your iCloud preferences.

transferring from Mac to Mac Air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.