You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Our imessages were blue, now green, but fixable by deleting the tread - why?

I text regularly with my husband, we both have iPhone 12s. Our tread is normally blue and grey. Occasionally our responses will turn green without us changing anything. We have waited for it to change back, rebooted, checked connectivity - none of these things seemed to be the reason. What does work is deleting our thread, only one of us has to do this, and we are both back to blue...

Why is this happening? How can we get it to stop happening?

iPhone 12

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 12:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 2:04 PM

ParsleyNThyme wrote:

I text regularly with my husband, we both have iPhone 12s. Our tread is normally blue and grey. Occasionally our responses will turn green without us changing anything. We have waited for it to change back, rebooted, checked connectivity - none of these things seemed to be the reason. What does work is deleting our thread, only one of us has to do this, and we are both back to blue...

When imessage is unavailable it will send it as a SMS, could be due to either one of you being in an area with a weak wifi or cellular data connection, or have imessage turned off.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2021 2:04 PM in response to ParsleyNThyme

ParsleyNThyme wrote:

When imessage is unavailable it will send it as a SMS, could be due to either one of you being in an area with a weak wifi or cellular data connection, or have imessage turned off.

Our imessages were blue, now green, but fixable by deleting the tread - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.