You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove "recent opens" from Finder menu when using ctrl-click

I have searched for months with no answer. I need to stop the "recent" finder opens that list below the primary finder options when clicking ctrl-click on the finder icon. Or at least shorten it to just last 5 - the long list displayed is TOTALLY annoying. See screen shot of what I'm talking about.

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 12:17 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 13, 2021 12:34 PM

I suppose you are talking about the Dock.

Did you try changing the number of "Recent Items" in System Preferences->General to a smaller value? You can try setting it to 5, or even None. It will affect other applications, most notably the "Open Recent" menu. I am not sure if it also applies to the Dock because... I don't use the Dock.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 13, 2021 12:34 PM in response to randym56

I suppose you are talking about the Dock.

Did you try changing the number of "Recent Items" in System Preferences->General to a smaller value? You can try setting it to 5, or even None. It will affect other applications, most notably the "Open Recent" menu. I am not sure if it also applies to the Dock because... I don't use the Dock.

Remove "recent opens" from Finder menu when using ctrl-click

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.