You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

šŸ“¢ Newsroom Update

Apple introduces powerful new iPad mini built for Apple Intelligence. Learn more >

Looks like no oneā€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad return to factory settings

Hi, I am trying to return my iPad to factory settings, but I do not see ā€œerase all contentā€ under General in settings.

iPad Air, iOS 12

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 10:53 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 11:08 AM

ā€˜Return to factory settingsā€™ is different from ā€˜erase all settingsā€™.

If you truly want to just return to the settings that came out-of-the-box, then you should click ā€˜Reset all settingsā€™. This will revert the Wi-Fi settings, the notifications settings, and many other settings. But if you want to actually erase the device, wiping out ALL CONTENT, then you should click ā€˜Erase All Content And Settingsā€™. I see in your picture that setting is not there. I also see in your picture that your battery is at 4 percent, so it probably wonā€™t be able to erase before the battery dies out.

You can also try remotely erasing the device, assuming Find My is turned on.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/erase-a-device-ipad22166f04/ipados

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2021 11:08 AM in response to KLamonte

ā€˜Return to factory settingsā€™ is different from ā€˜erase all settingsā€™.

If you truly want to just return to the settings that came out-of-the-box, then you should click ā€˜Reset all settingsā€™. This will revert the Wi-Fi settings, the notifications settings, and many other settings. But if you want to actually erase the device, wiping out ALL CONTENT, then you should click ā€˜Erase All Content And Settingsā€™. I see in your picture that setting is not there. I also see in your picture that your battery is at 4 percent, so it probably wonā€™t be able to erase before the battery dies out.

You can also try remotely erasing the device, assuming Find My is turned on.

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/erase-a-device-ipad22166f04/ipados

I hope this helps.

iPad return to factory settings

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.