You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Still getting 'disk not ejected properly...etc' macOS Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey Beta.

'disk not ejected properly...etc'

Has anybody ever discovered a reason for this perpetual and repetitive message?

Even though none of the offending disks has been touched.

I used to think it was using a non powered hub or drive, way back in OSX Mavericks, but my current 4TB local drive, USB3 to port on rear of iMac 14,1 - in a powered drive case, connects and disconnects for no reason - untouched by human hand and never actually unmounts

I have had successive OS on various machine/OS combo, since 2007 when I changed to Intel iMac

this began happening randomly at first

Come to think of it Firewire never did this.

**** If I boot the same machine into Linux IT NEVER DISCONNECTS. ****

I come to the conclusion over many macOS and Mac hardwares that it may be a software glitch ?triggered by?????

The other external drive 'LOCAL BKP' never disconnects, also USB3 to rear port unpowered?????

Any sensible suggestions would be welcomed.

iMac 21.5″, 11.4

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 3:24 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2021 4:16 PM

Sorry can't assist. I did have same issues using firewire though. When I run into that "disk not ejected properly" I set the external aside never to be used again. Just transfer the data on it. Purchase some other external. I understand can be expensive but I will not put up with this issue. Waiting for a fix which never comes.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 16, 2021 4:16 PM in response to nickfrombexhill-on-sea

Sorry can't assist. I did have same issues using firewire though. When I run into that "disk not ejected properly" I set the external aside never to be used again. Just transfer the data on it. Purchase some other external. I understand can be expensive but I will not put up with this issue. Waiting for a fix which never comes.

Still getting 'disk not ejected properly...etc' macOS Catalina, Big Sur and Monterey Beta.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.