You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop iCloud from automatically downloading files into local drive?

I am using iCloud Drive which I access across a few devices (MacBook Pro, iMac, iPhone,...). I intend to keep the majority of those files on the iCloud, not in each device's local storage. However, Mac OS keeps automatically downloading the files into my computers, taking up massive bandwidth and local hard drive space. The "cancel" button on pop-up "status" window isn't working either. I have to manually select "remove download" but the system seems to keep re-downloading them periodically. I can't seem to manually delete the downloaded files from my hard drive either - I need those precious HDD space! Please help!

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 7:38 AM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 19, 2021 12:46 AM in response to natharit

The devices two Macs and an iPhone are signed in with same Apple ID and password on the same network , syncing is in process as iCloud Drive is turned as on in all and desktops and documents box is checked in Macs .

Some files are downloaded and some are still syncing Get file, folder and disk information on Mac - Apple Support

You can drag and drop the downloaded files in some another location once again to finder > iCloud section > documents Work with folders and files in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

See the article How iCloud Drive works - Apple Support

Turn on iCloud Drive

First, set up iCloud Drive on each device where you want to share and access files. You need to sign in with the same Apple ID on each device. This way, you see the same files and folders on each device.

If you have devices with iCloud Drive turned off, files on those devices are not kept up to date with files on devices that have iCloud Drive turned on.

Learn how. See Set up and use iCloud Drive on all your devices.

Also you mentioned - - I need those precious HDD space!

See the thread https://discussions.apple.com/thread/

Note : when complete syncing of files is done ( high network speed is essential ) delete the desired files Delete files in iCloud Drive on iCloud.com - Apple Support

How do I stop iCloud from automatically downloading files into local drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.