You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 7 got water damaged, I’m using my led iPhone 6. When I started the iPhone 6 and got to the backup from existing phone I could not select the iPhone 7 backup. Why would this be. Ivan see my iPhone 7 backup but can’t use it

My iPhone 7 got water damaged, I’m using my iPhone 6. When I started the iPhone 6 and got to the backup from existing phone point, I could not select the iPhone 7 backup. Why would this be. I can see my iPhone 7 backup but can’t use it.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 1:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 1:38 PM

Your iPhone 7 backup was probably created with using iOS version 14. Your iPhone 6 is not going to be able to use that backup because it probably has iOS version 12 and cannot be updated further.

You cannot use a backup file created with an iOS verson that is higher than the iOS version that is being used on the target iPhone. In simpler terms, your iPhone 6 with iOS version 12 cannot restore from a backup created with your iPhone 7 and iOS version 14.

You can setup your iPhone 6 manually. If you used iCloud for Photos and Messages on your iPhone 7 then all that data will be downloaded on your iPhone 6. You will have to install all apps and settings manually.

Axel F.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2021 1:38 PM in response to mehmood240

Your iPhone 7 backup was probably created with using iOS version 14. Your iPhone 6 is not going to be able to use that backup because it probably has iOS version 12 and cannot be updated further.

You cannot use a backup file created with an iOS verson that is higher than the iOS version that is being used on the target iPhone. In simpler terms, your iPhone 6 with iOS version 12 cannot restore from a backup created with your iPhone 7 and iOS version 14.

You can setup your iPhone 6 manually. If you used iCloud for Photos and Messages on your iPhone 7 then all that data will be downloaded on your iPhone 6. You will have to install all apps and settings manually.

Axel F.

My iPhone 7 got water damaged, I’m using my led iPhone 6. When I started the iPhone 6 and got to the backup from existing phone I could not select the iPhone 7 backup. Why would this be. Ivan see my iPhone 7 backup but can’t use it

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.