You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Does Time Machine back up everything on my Mac or do I need My Passport for Mac to back up everything?

Does Time Machine back up everything on my Mac or do I need My Passport for Mac to back up everything?

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 2:39 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 3:46 PM

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Time Machine will backup everything, but you need an external hard drive for Time Machine to work.

For the external drive, I would not get a Western Digital My Passport. Get a high-quality, desktop-class drive, such as the LaCie 6TB d2 Professional Desktop Hard Drive - Apple Store.

Next, format the drive as APFS for the format, and GUID as the scheme: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Finally, Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

-Jack

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 18, 2021 3:46 PM in response to Stryker1949

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

Time Machine will backup everything, but you need an external hard drive for Time Machine to work.

For the external drive, I would not get a Western Digital My Passport. Get a high-quality, desktop-class drive, such as the LaCie 6TB d2 Professional Desktop Hard Drive - Apple Store.

Next, format the drive as APFS for the format, and GUID as the scheme: Erase and reformat a storage device in Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support. Finally, Back up your Mac with Time Machine - Apple Support.

-Jack

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.