You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

security woes

I have run across some concerns over iPhone vs spyware etc, I know Apple had stood in court to protect the right to privacy.

The NSO Group has military grade tools to attack mobile devices. Candiru has a new package that has been abused as well.

I know that Apple has cracked down on privacy abuses and I believe Apple will make further efforts.

Anyone know if NSO or Candiru has been found on iPhones?

iPhone 11

Posted on Jul 18, 2021 5:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 7:05 AM

Navelpluis wrote:

Apple should have this as a *TOP PRIORITY* to solve this issue, since for many users the reason to use Apple is security.

How do you know it's not a top priority?

I find that I may *DEMAND* Apple to do so. Apple should enable the programmers and funding to do so. And report to their users that it has been done.

Demanding anything of Apple in these user-to-user forums isn't going to accomplish anything. You can let Apple know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

And, you need to keep in mind that cybersecurity is never "done". It's an arms race. There is a new threat. Apple releases an update. Lather, rinse, repeat.

9 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 22, 2021 7:05 AM in response to Navelpluis

Navelpluis wrote:

Apple should have this as a *TOP PRIORITY* to solve this issue, since for many users the reason to use Apple is security.

How do you know it's not a top priority?

I find that I may *DEMAND* Apple to do so. Apple should enable the programmers and funding to do so. And report to their users that it has been done.

Demanding anything of Apple in these user-to-user forums isn't going to accomplish anything. You can let Apple know your thoughts here:

Product Feedback - Apple

And, you need to keep in mind that cybersecurity is never "done". It's an arms race. There is a new threat. Apple releases an update. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Jul 18, 2021 5:36 PM in response to Vegan Advocate

I suggest you do a search for Pegasus Project, which is covered by several major news sources including the Guardian and the Washington Post (and 14 others). Unless you are a high government official, journalist, drug cartel leader, terrorist or in a similar profession you are safe. You are also safe if your are un the US. And it’s likely that Apple is either going to or already has blocked the now public exploit.

Jul 22, 2021 3:24 AM in response to Vegan Advocate

Although I am a carnivore, Vegan is very very right:

<Churchill mode on>

Apple should have this as a *TOP PRIORITY* to solve this issue, since for many users the reason to use Apple is security. Owning > 10 Apple devices I find that I may *DEMAND* Apple to do so. Apple should enable the programmers and funding to do so. And report to their users that it has been done.

<Churchill mode off>

Jul 22, 2021 10:17 AM in response to IdrisSeabright

I imagined the way how Churchill communicated: He could be quite demanding, and therefore was very successful during WW-II in the U.K. He was a man who at least could decide, good or wrong, but at least he decided.

So I used this same way to state the need for care for critical users. Don't forget about critical users, who now are targets of unwanted regimes and this may be far more bad than we can imagine ! No one should forget that now lives hang on a string due to the misuse of NSO's toolbox. Playing my request down does not going to help anyone further.

I think Apple should clearly communicate about the NSO hack and should make a statement. The reason for this is that I believe that most critical customers buy Apple for their privacy and safety. No one can disagree on this.

Jul 22, 2021 10:45 AM in response to Navelpluis

Navelpluis wrote:

I imagined the way how Churchill communicated:

Um.... not sure how Churchhill is relevant here and don't really care but, fine.

I think Apple should clearly communicate about the NSO hack and should make a statement. The reason for this is that I believe that most critical customers buy Apple for their privacy and safety.

If that's what you think, you should tell Apple. They are not, as I explained above, reading here for suggestions. If you want them to know your thoughts, use the feedback page. You can channel whatever historical person you like and they will still read it if you post here.

No one can disagree on this.

No, that is not the primary reason I buy Apple products. And I'm pretty darn critical.

Jul 31, 2021 6:56 AM in response to Vegan Advocate

Vegan Advocate wrote:

Thanks all, I have no easy way to check my phone to see if it has been perverted by illegal surveillance tools

That’s true. If there was an easy way then they would be very poor surveillance tools. However, unless you fall into the set of people that a government would have a need to surveil (Drug dealers, terrorists, activists, Presidents, Prime Ministers, opposition candidates, journalists in repressive countries) no one is surveiling you. NSO tools are very expensive (millions of $) and are sold only to governments. If you are worth a $million for a government to spy on then you have much bigger problems than someone spying on your phone.

And if you are concerned just restore the phone to factory settings and set it up as new.

security woes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.