You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HomePod upgrades 14.7 overheating.

After upgrading 14.7, my seven HomePods are still hot at the top. One of the early HomePod versions sold is quite hot. what should I do?

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 1:24 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 2:04 AM

Unplug it for now to allow it to cool down. Is it plugged into an extension cord? If it is, plug it directly into the wall outlet.

10 replies

Jul 30, 2021 11:22 AM in response to 狂蛆

I have had the same issues with my paired Homepods set up to make use of the Apple TV 4K with both 14.6 and 14.7, although the homepods were not as hot with 14.7. I have not disabled Siri or intercom, but found that by disabling Hompod analytics and improve Siri & dictation the temperature on the top of the Homepods greatly reduced to a cool touch, similar to my paired HomePod mini’s. It would be interesting to see if this works for people experiencing the same issues!!!!

Jul 28, 2021 8:31 PM in response to Vancouver22

I think they’re referring to the workaround floating around on Reddit about the overheating of the speaker being less severe if Siri and Intercom are turned off.

my HomePod, purchased late last year, is also experiencing the control surface being warm since 14.6

tonight, it started disconnecting from the AppleTV 4K. Or at least the TV is prompting that it’s lost the connection to the speaker.

even more strange, the HomePod still plays audio, but at a much lower volume than the level typically produced at the current volume slider’s position.

restarting HomePod resolved connection issue for about 15min, then problem reoccurred.

HomePod is unplugged right now

Jul 28, 2021 11:22 PM in response to Dizzle the dj

I’ve not seen the Reddit Discussions. A few weeks ago on here the 14.6 overheating was mentioned so I did a test. One of mine did seem rather hot. It was plugged into an extension cord sharing a halogen lamp, so I removed the cord and plugged it directly into the wall outlet. It cooled right down. This is why I gave this advice. As to the volume , it’s all over the place and has been for some time now.

Jul 31, 2021 8:00 AM in response to Vancouver22

Haven't thought of the possible reduced amperage being delivered via surge protector.

I've tried switching my HomePod to the wall outlet. It's still warm on top with Siri turned off and I don't seem to be able to deactivate intercom.

Hopefully they release an update soon to address the issue. You can check r/HomePod to see posts about the overheating. In some cases, users are claiming that their speaker is becoming inoperable.

HomePod upgrades 14.7 overheating.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.