You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop icons occasionally disappear

I recently upgraded my Mac to OS 11. Since then, occasionally, all the folders I keep on my desktop will disappear. If I open the finder and go to the desktop, they are also gone from there. If any of the desktop folders are open, they will revert to a blank desktop folder.

I'm still working out reliable ways to make the desktop icons come back. I used to restart the computer, but now I've discovered that if I right-click on the desktop and select "Get Info," the desktop icons will start returning one by one over the course of about 20 seconds.

Any way to stop this from happening?

iMac 27″, macOS 11.2

Posted on Jul 21, 2021 11:01 PM

3 replies

Jul 22, 2021 5:24 PM in response to Ian Fox

Hello Ian Fox,

We are sorry to hear that your desktop folder icons are disappearing.

Is your Mac currently on macOS 11.2? If so, the Mac is out of date. You can Update macOS on Mac by following the steps here.

Do you have Desktop and Documents turned on in iCloud? You can check by following the steps under the 'Turn on Desktop and Document' section of Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive. If it is turned on, try turning it off and see if it still happens.

Have a great day!

Aug 3, 2021 12:53 PM in response to Ian Fox

Hello again Ian Fox,

Thank you for the information!

The latest macOS is 11.5.1, so the first thing to try would be to update the macOS. Were you able to update it using the resource linked above: Update macOS on Mac

If you are still having the issue after updating, try using the mac in safe mode. Here is How to use safe mode on your Mac

If the icons are still disappearing after following the steps in the safe mode resource, Get Support here.

Take care!

Desktop icons occasionally disappear

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.