You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting external HP monitor via hub

Hi, since upgrading to Big Sure 11.3 and 11.4 thereafter, I'm unable to use the USB-C cable from the HP hub box to my Mac Book Pro (15" 2019) to connect to HP monitor. The screen remains black and shows no signs of attempting connection. Also thread here shows many have same/similar issue: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/some-users-having-external-display-connection-issues-with-macos-big-sur-11-1-and-11-2.2283218/page-8

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 22, 2021 2:09 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 2:24 PM

Hey there L_Arup,

While we're unable to comment on anything found on rumor websites, we certainly would like to help however we can with getting your monitor working with your Mac. Let's start with ruling out some basics:

1. What occurs after testing a direct connection from your HP monitor to your Mac, without going through that third-party hub?
  2. Have you already tested for the same issue with a second cable?
  3. We see that you have macOS 11.4 installed from your post, but the latest is macOS 11.5. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. Here's how to first Back up your Mac with Time Machine, and afterwards, here's How to update the software on your Mac.
  4. If you've already performed the above steps, we recommend a restart. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We look forward to hearing about the details above, and take care until then!

Similar questions

11 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2021 2:24 PM in response to L_Arup

Hey there L_Arup,

While we're unable to comment on anything found on rumor websites, we certainly would like to help however we can with getting your monitor working with your Mac. Let's start with ruling out some basics:

1. What occurs after testing a direct connection from your HP monitor to your Mac, without going through that third-party hub?
  2. Have you already tested for the same issue with a second cable?
  3. We see that you have macOS 11.4 installed from your post, but the latest is macOS 11.5. You can verify this by clicking on the Apple logo at the top left corner of the screen, then on ‘About This Mac’. Here's how to first Back up your Mac with Time Machine, and afterwards, here's How to update the software on your Mac.
  4. If you've already performed the above steps, we recommend a restart. Check out the section 'Restart' here: Log out, sleep, wake, restart, or shut down your Mac

We look forward to hearing about the details above, and take care until then!

Jul 25, 2021 4:57 AM in response to bruno75

Hi, thanks for you response. My response numbered below:

1. I can connect with connector which I've brought from home, see photo, however only able to connect to one of the screens.
  2. I have a hot desk scenario at work so have tried this with many monitors but same style hub... all HP monitors btw
  3. I have OS 11.4 indeed, ifMac OS 11.5 is guaranteed to have addressed this issue, I have no reservations in updating OS. Of three Mac users using these hot desks, I'm the only one on Big Sur AND unable to connect via hub box.
  4. Noted

Workplace hub installed at all hot desks which is connected to network.

Connector I bring from home to connect to monitor, however not connected to network as circumvents hub box.

Jul 25, 2021 12:07 PM in response to L_Arup

Hello L_Arup,

That's good to hear that plugging in the HDMI to USB-C adapter works without any issues when not using the hub. This indicates that not only the adapter is working as expected, but also the monitor as well as the connection on your Mac. Let's continue ruling out some other possible causes:

1. There's no guarantee that updating to macOS 11.5 will resolve the issue 100%, as we're dealing with several third-party accessories. What we can say is that once updated, it would rule out being outdated as a possible cause. For this reason, we recommend first backing up, then updating your Mac. Afterwards, let us know if the same issue remains.
  2. As you obtained the hub from your workplace, have you been able to test another hub for the same issue, or even reached out to your workplace's IT department to see what they have to say about this?
  3. As it was unclear, have you already tried a restart of your Mac?

Have a good one!

Jul 28, 2021 8:12 AM in response to bruno75

Hello, answers numbered below:

1. I will update and report back on this in the next week.
  2. Hot desk at the workplace: there are 90 workspaces to choose from (all same hardware: HP hub) and I've sat at several of them without successful connection via hub to screens. Yes, I've reached out to IT and they have no answers for two reasons: (i) they are PC based so have limited Mac knowledge (ii) other Mac users on Mac OS Mojave do not have any of the issues I have; hence the assumption has been put down to Mac OS Big Sur
  3. Yes, I've restarted without any joy.

Jul 29, 2021 1:47 PM in response to L_Arup

Hi L_Arup,

Are you using a personal Mac, or is this one supplied by your workplace? It may be worth investigating if your workplace offers Windows PCs as to be easier to troubleshoot with their IT department.

Another thing we recommend was suggested by Grant, to test a different compatible cable to connect from your monitor adapter to the hub.

Of course, another step we recommend would be to contact Apple Support, but we recommend doing this after checking the above first. You can reach them here: Get Support

Take care.

Jul 30, 2021 6:34 AM in response to L_Arup

That product appears to contain DisplayLink chips, according to the DisplayLink product search site:

https://www.displaylink.com/products/find?br=5

If others running Mojave can connect, you likely need to add DisplayLink Drivers for Big Sur, which are slightly different from those used for previous MacOS:

https://www.displaylink.com/downloads/macos

Jul 30, 2021 6:37 AM in response to L_Arup

DisplayLink technology creates a "fake" display buffer in RAM, sends the data out over a slower interface to a stunt box with DisplayLink custom chips that put that data back onto a "legacy" interface. It is not a true "accelerated" display, and it can suffer from lagging. Just adding the DisplayLink Driver is not adequate to get a picture -- you need a DisplayLink "stunt-box" or a Dock that includes DisplayLink chips.

————

It may be acceptable for a second display showing slow-to-change data such as computer program listings, stock quotes, or spreadsheets, but NOT for full motion Video, not for Video editing, and absolutely not for gaming. Mouse-tracking on that display can lag, and can make you feel queasy.

In a pinch, it may even play Internet videos (as one user put it) “without too many dropped frames".

This is in stark contrast to the Apple standard for its built-in hardware-accelerated displays, which are suitable for production/display of cinema-quality video with NO dropped frames, and NO dropouts or partial-blank scan lines due to memory under-runs or other issues.

Connecting external HP monitor via hub

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.