You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Upgrade or replace storage on a late 2015 27’imac

I have a failing hdd on my iMac and am faced with the decision to either replace the iMac or replace the hdd with an SSD from owc. The install appears complicated but think I can do the install, if I am careful.

I am also considering running macOS from an external ssd.

i am looking for experiences and/or gotcha’s from each of these options. My desire is to replace the hdd and get another few years from a pretty good machine. So my options are:

1) trade in and buy new iMac.

2) buy ssd and run macOS externally

3) replace my hdd (3tb fusion drive) with an ssd.

iMac 27″, macOS 11.5

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 8:37 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 9:22 AM

i agree with everything James Brickley has said. especially the potential damage that can happen during the operation.

option 2 would be your safest bet. to set up an external boot drive, see this well written user tip from another contributor to these forums: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk - User Tip

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 23, 2021 9:22 AM in response to millerbc182

i agree with everything James Brickley has said. especially the potential damage that can happen during the operation.

option 2 would be your safest bet. to set up an external boot drive, see this well written user tip from another contributor to these forums: How to Setup and Use an External SSD as your Startup Disk - User Tip

Jul 23, 2021 10:20 AM in response to millerbc182

• Personally I would opt for Option #2 as it's the easiest to implement and it'll be easy to take with you when you do upgrade to a new Mac. Consider this external SSDs from OWC (MaSales.com) as they have an excellent reputation for reliability, customer support and good pricing:

Be sure to take with OWC's customer support to see which device would best suit your needs and current hardware.

Jul 23, 2021 9:07 AM in response to millerbc182

This is a personal decision which needs to be weighed against your personal budget and time required.

The iMac is already 6 years old. You might only get a year or two out of it before you can no longer upgrade to the latest macOS. Seems Big Sur and Monterey will support this model but what comes after Monterey likely will not. If the cost of the SSD and your time to replace the Fusion disk(s) with a single SSD is worth it for only a couple years of additional usage then go for it.

I seriously doubt you will get much of anything from Apple on a Trade-In for this old iMac other than the peace of mind that it will be recycled.

If you can get an external SSD booting and working that will potentially cost less and require no labor on your part and hold you over till Apple releases the next Apple Silicon update for the 27" iMac line. The 24" is impressive but what's coming is going to be so much more. This option buys you just as much time and alleviates you from risking damage to the iMac. The only issues I have heard of external booting Big Sur have been PMU related and an SMC/NVRAM reset fixes that. You should be able to boot reliably from the external drive providing you set the startup volume while booted from the external drive. If not then reset the SMC and NVRAM. Also during the USB installation you will have to hold Option to boot into the external drive initially and each time it reboots during the installation or when installing updates.

I will vote for Option 2. Plenty of experienced tech's have damaged iMacs by accident while attempting to replace the internal drives. Another problem is the replacement glue strips. You cannot obtain authentic parts from Apple so there have been reports of an iMac screen falling out because the glue strips failed. So you risk breaking fragile connectors or having the glue strips fail, etc. Also be wary of screws many are not the same length and size so make note of every single screw and where it belongs. Don't forget to re-attach all the antenna's or you will have WiFi / Bluetooth issues. I'm a pro with 30 years experience building and repairing computers and I would be very nervous doing this procedure the very first time on an iMac.

Jul 31, 2021 5:57 AM in response to millerbc182

I am not sure if this reply will get to everyone but It seems the feedback was unanimous (run from an external SSD and wait for the new iMac).

I appreciate everyone's feedback and insight. I think the replacement for the 27" iMac is a year out and have decided to run my existing iMac from an external SSD. OWC recommended the OWC Envoy Pro EX and I have just finished installing MacOS and am up and running fine with really decent performance.

Again, thanks to everyone for their replies.

Upgrade or replace storage on a late 2015 27’imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.