You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Scanner problems with Canon MG5420 and Big Sur

I have an iMac, am on OS 11.4 Big Sur. I have no problems printing with my Canon MG5420, but I cannot find a way to use my Canon all-in-one to scan now. I use to be able to do it fine before moving to Big Sur. Any ideas? Thank you.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 23, 2021 11:07 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 24, 2021 10:50 AM

The last Canon released printer and scanner drivers for this device were released in 2018. Provided you have networked the MG5420 and do not have a USB cable connected to your Mac, it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and no Canon software or drivers are required. It should support scanning via Apple's Image Capture via AirPrint.

Visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right-click on your MG5420 entry, and from the contextual menu, select Reset printing system… When you re-add the device, choose AirPrint and not any Canon drivers. There may or may not be any scanner setup tab in the Printers & Scanners panel.

If you still cannot achieve scanning, even with Apple's Image Capture, then the recommended VueScan Professional does support it without any other driver or software requirement. I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, never paid an upgrade fee, and it still supports the same scanner I used in 2010 on my M1 mini running macOS 11.5. I receive no product or compensation from the vendor for mentioning VueScan here.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 24, 2021 10:50 AM in response to whyoga

The last Canon released printer and scanner drivers for this device were released in 2018. Provided you have networked the MG5420 and do not have a USB cable connected to your Mac, it is supported by Apple's built-in AirPrint, and no Canon software or drivers are required. It should support scanning via Apple's Image Capture via AirPrint.

Visit System Preferences > Printers & Scanners, right-click on your MG5420 entry, and from the contextual menu, select Reset printing system… When you re-add the device, choose AirPrint and not any Canon drivers. There may or may not be any scanner setup tab in the Printers & Scanners panel.

If you still cannot achieve scanning, even with Apple's Image Capture, then the recommended VueScan Professional does support it without any other driver or software requirement. I have owned VueScan Professional since 2010, never paid an upgrade fee, and it still supports the same scanner I used in 2010 on my M1 mini running macOS 11.5. I receive no product or compensation from the vendor for mentioning VueScan here.

Jul 24, 2021 10:36 AM in response to whyoga

If Cannon no longer supports your scanner, then you can download and try VueScan for free. Used during the trial period it will leave a watermark. It is a full featured scanner app and is well supported. There is a one time fee to buy it. I purchased it and I recommend it. I have no association with VueScan. Cheaper than buying a new scanner.

Scanner problems with Canon MG5420 and Big Sur

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.