You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Hi, my macbook pro 2012 won't turn on, no charge, not even displaying battery indicator. Is it the battery problem or hardware?

Hi, my MacBook Pro A1203-2012 won't turn on, no charge, not even displaying battery indicator. Is it the battery problem or hardware?

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 10:27 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 25, 2021 10:53 PM

Hello bishuadarsh,

Does the Mac Book Pro power on when connected to a power source? If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If it will power on with a power source but not on battery power this is likely an issue with the battery which has possibly just reached it max lifespan. If not, then you are likely correct that you have a hardware or startup software issue.

Contacting Apple Support will be your best resource in either case. But, you can get some more information if you are able to power on the computer.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Check battery health

You can check the health of your battery in Battery preferences or the Battery status menu:

• In macOS Big Sur, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Battery, select Battery in the sidebar, then click Battery Health.
  • In macOS Catalina or earlier, hold the Option key and click the battery icon in the menu bar to reveal the battery status menu.

You'll see one of the following status indicators:

• Normal: The battery is functioning normally. 
  • Service Recommended: The battery's ability to hold charge is less than when it was new or it isn't functioning normally. You can safely continue to use your Mac but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider to get your battery evaluated.

To get service on your battery, contact Apple."

I hope this helps.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jul 25, 2021 10:53 PM in response to bishuadarsh

Hello bishuadarsh,

Does the Mac Book Pro power on when connected to a power source? If your Mac doesn't turn on - Apple Support

If it will power on with a power source but not on battery power this is likely an issue with the battery which has possibly just reached it max lifespan. If not, then you are likely correct that you have a hardware or startup software issue.

Contacting Apple Support will be your best resource in either case. But, you can get some more information if you are able to power on the computer.

Get help with your Mac notebook battery - Apple Support

Check battery health

You can check the health of your battery in Battery preferences or the Battery status menu:

• In macOS Big Sur, choose Apple menu  > System Preferences, click Battery, select Battery in the sidebar, then click Battery Health.
  • In macOS Catalina or earlier, hold the Option key and click the battery icon in the menu bar to reveal the battery status menu.

You'll see one of the following status indicators:

• Normal: The battery is functioning normally. 
  • Service Recommended: The battery's ability to hold charge is less than when it was new or it isn't functioning normally. You can safely continue to use your Mac but you should take it to an Apple Store or Apple-authorized service provider to get your battery evaluated.

To get service on your battery, contact Apple."

I hope this helps.

Hi, my macbook pro 2012 won't turn on, no charge, not even displaying battery indicator. Is it the battery problem or hardware?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.