You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Shortcut automation time of day not working on iPad Air 4th gen

I run an automation to change my lock and home screens at sunrise and sunset. They’re working fine on my iphone 11 but not on my ipad air and I cannot get a single automation to work on it.

The shortcut runs fine manually and the automation even runs fine manually, but whenever I let it run on TOD it fails and says it’s an unknown error. I’ve reset, updated ios, changed the time and shortcuts for the automation to run, remade shortcuts and automations from scratch, deleted and re-downloaded the shortcuts app and nothing has worked.

iPad, iPadOS 14

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 3:36 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Jul 30, 2021 8:13 AM in response to mattias183

Hello Mattias,

Thanks for reaching out through the Apple Support Communities about that situation with running that automation on your iPad.

Are the apps for your accessories all up-to-date? How to manually update apps on your Apple device

Do you have access to other accessories? If so, does that behavior continue if you use that automation with another accessory?

Does this usually occur while your iPad is locked and idle? If so, is your iPad set to automatically join your Wi-Fi network per the section at the bottom of this article? Use captive Wi-Fi networks on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Hopefully those details and resources put you on the path to getting this addressed.

Take care.

Jul 30, 2021 1:56 PM in response to 1ssmith

Thank you for your reply!

To my knowledge, the shortcut app is updated. I have no pending updates in the App Store and the OS is up to date.

The automation does the following:

Find Photos in a specific album. Randomly select one.

Changes the background on my lock screen and home screen with found image without preview.

It works when I test the automation within the shortcut menu and it works if I make it into a shortcut and run the shortcut manually.

The problem occurs when it's said to run on a specific time of day. That's when I get the error and it doesn't matter if the iPad is locked and idle or not. It's set to join my home wifi automatically and also to join my iPhone internet sharing when no wifi is available.

If I try to run a shortcuts that changes the brightness on my iPad at a specific time it works.

If I try to run a shortcut that turns on some lights in my home at a specific time it works.

Aug 1, 2021 7:25 AM in response to mattias183

Mattias,

If you set that automation to pull a photo from a different folder or album, does that still continue?

How about if you adjust the automation so that it sets your wallpapers to a specific photo instead of a randomly selected one?

Also, do you have access to another device such as an iPhone? If so, does the behavior with that shortcut also occur on another device?

Regards.

Aug 1, 2021 11:58 AM in response to jeremy_v

Thanks for your reply.

I tried to change the album, same problem.

I tried to set it to just pull the lates photo, same problem.

I tried setting it up so that it prompts me to choose a picture. This runs the automation but when I’ve chosen the image it just quits with no action. This however only occurs when the shortcut is run through automation. If I manually run the shortcut it works like intended.

I have a shortcut set up exactly this way on my iPhone 11 and it works 100%. I actually did it there first and liked it so much that I decided to set it up on my iPad. So it’s an exact replica of a working shortcut form my iPhone.

Shortcut automation time of day not working on iPad Air 4th gen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.