You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Autocorrect Simply Doesn't Work in Several Scenarios

Greetings!

I just switched from Android to iOS recently and my ONE gripe is that the autocorrect feature on iOS blatantly refuses to work in several scenarios. I'll go into more detail below, but I'll say now that this issue is so prohibitive that it's making more and more sense to switch back to Android.

Observed behavior:

I noticed that while typing into any web browsers' integrated URL/search bar, that iOS simply does not autocorrect text. I've installed many different keyboards (e.g., Stock keyboard, Swiftkey, GBoard, Flesky, and others) to try and resolve this issue, but to no avail. To be concrete, the browsers that I observed this beavior in are Safari, Chrome, Brave, DuckDuckGo, Mozilla Focus.

I noticed the same behavior mentioned above also while typing in the following apps:

• App store
  • Apple maps
  • Youtube search
  • Google translate
  • Google maps

Expected behavior:

Should be clear already, but I expect for my text input to be automatically corrected when I type in the above scenarios.

Potential discussion points:

(1) I anticipate that one (or more) people will comment that some of the apps above feature the "Did you mean..." functionality, where they are able to interpret misspelled words.

(a) This may be suitable for some people in certain situations, but it does not resolve the observed issue.

(2) Another discussion point may be that keyboards features a bar containing three words as the user inputs text, so users should simply be able to tap the word they meant to type, in the case of a misspelling.

(a) Sure, but this still doesn't resolved the observed issue. The goal is automatic (i.e., not manual) text correction.

---

Forgive the longer post, it's just that I've been forced to face this issue every single day since I've purchased this iPhone and dealing with it has become quite prohibitive. If there are any suggestions out there, please do write and let me know.

Thanks!

P.S. I should mention that autocorrect does function as expected in apps like Messages, Messenger, WeChat, Googlr Keep, Reminders, Notes.

---

Screenshot from Safari browser:

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 6:03 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 8:30 AM

You can let Apple know about any of its own apps where autocorrect with its own keyboard does not work via

http://www.apple.com/feedback

For 3rd party keyboards and apps and non apple web pages, you should contact the people who make those.

Similar questions

4 replies

Jul 29, 2021 9:00 AM in response to SravanKrA

Thanks for your reply. The keyboard shown in the screenshot is the GBoard keyboard. I features this keyboard in the screenshot to illustrate that the issue is not limited to Apple's stock keyboard.

To answer your other question directly, the observed issue is not limited to any specific language, which is Spanish in the above screenshot.

Jul 29, 2021 7:48 AM in response to Acaramelao

I am not able to recognize the keyboard with a cogged wheel on the right side of the space bar?

Is this specific to Galician Langage?

Are you using any third-party keyboards?

If you are experiencing any difficulty with third-party apps then please contact the app developer directly --> How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Autocorrect Simply Doesn't Work in Several Scenarios

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.