You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Multi-Output device issues when using an interface

My issue is a crackling noise with my audio when using “multi-output device” in Mac OS X (10.9.5)

I'm trying to capture my desktop audio for streaming / recording for Twitch. I've downloaded soundflower as I'm aware Mac doesn't have any default drivers to do so. I'm also using a TASCAM US-1200 Audio Interface with my headphones and microphone plugged into that.

I've created "multi-output device" in Audio MIDI Setup, added both soundflower and the TASCAM audio driver, so this setup outputs sound from both devices at once. Problem is that there is a 'crackle'.

Whatever output is set as "Master device", it does not suffer from this 'crackle', but the other does. Playing with sampling rates and drift correction didn't seem to fix this. Other weird thing is, if I replace my audio interface in the "Multi-output device" with my Mac's "Built-In Output", then there is no issue.

Whilst this is a workaround, using the "Built-In Output" stops me from easily adjusting my headphone volume and causes more problems if I eventually want to look into capturing Pro Tools sessions for streaming in OBS. Have also tried using IShowU but this does not resolve the issue.

Any help would be greatly appreciate - or even suggested forums to throw this in?

iMac 27″, OS X 10.10

Posted on Jul 29, 2021 5:44 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 6:47 AM

Go to Audio Midi Setup utility in Applications -> Utilities. Make sure to choose the right frequency for the device. The built-in audio of many Macs support digital audio, which is a higher frequency that needed for stereo.

44.1 kHz 16 bit works best with most devices.

Also note, any Mac that can run 10.9 or 10.10 can upgrade to 10.11.6.

As long as your software supports it, you should at minimum upgrade to that after backing up your data.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 11, 2021 6:47 AM in response to jerryzahija

Go to Audio Midi Setup utility in Applications -> Utilities. Make sure to choose the right frequency for the device. The built-in audio of many Macs support digital audio, which is a higher frequency that needed for stereo.

44.1 kHz 16 bit works best with most devices.

Also note, any Mac that can run 10.9 or 10.10 can upgrade to 10.11.6.

As long as your software supports it, you should at minimum upgrade to that after backing up your data.

Multi-Output device issues when using an interface

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.