You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can macOSes (Big Sur v11.5.1) & Mojave v10.14.6) Photo Booth app export other video formats beside old QuickTime MOV?

Hello.

Can macOSes (Big Sur v11.5.1) & Mojave v10.14.6) Photo Booth app

export other video formats beside old QuickTime MOV? An over 2 minutes

selfie talking video is over 115 MB! Compressing into a zip file

didn't do much too. :( Does macOS even come with a free video

converter anywhere or does one have to get a third party? This is for

Mac users who don't know tech stuff. I even tried QT Player's export

with Photo Booth's video recordings, but it only lets me save as MOV

files. Did I miss something? :/

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering soon. :)

MacBook Air (2020 or later)

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 4:31 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 6:57 PM

In Big Sur, right click on the file you exported from Photo Booth and from the drop down menu choose Encode Selected Video Files:

Choose a compression format that produces the size of file you want to end up with:

You will end up with a file that also has the .mov extension, but the file size will be changed (how much so depends on your Setting selection) - in the case above, choosing h.264 1080p reduced the file size by about half that of the original file.

MtD

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2021 6:57 PM in response to antdude

In Big Sur, right click on the file you exported from Photo Booth and from the drop down menu choose Encode Selected Video Files:

Choose a compression format that produces the size of file you want to end up with:

You will end up with a file that also has the .mov extension, but the file size will be changed (how much so depends on your Setting selection) - in the case above, choosing h.264 1080p reduced the file size by about half that of the original file.

MtD

Aug 2, 2021 7:12 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Meg The Dog wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/7ed4326d-48f0-4029-81ef-ae5874244cbf

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/c6a567a5-ae89-451a-a837-5e3ddc84646d

Thanks. Is this new in Big Sur? I will have to check in Mojave too later. I managed to get the original file down to 90 MB which is still a bit big. :(

Can macOSes (Big Sur v11.5.1) & Mojave v10.14.6) Photo Booth app export other video formats beside old QuickTime MOV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.