You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

deleting photos on my iphone 11 pro

I am unable to delete many of the photos on my iphone 11 and wonder why. I can select and delete some photos but not all. If you know why and how I can delete these photos, that would be very helpful. Please advise. Thanks.

iPhone 11 Pro, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 6:02 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 2, 2021 6:20 PM

If you synced the photos to the iPhone from a computer, you delete them by syncing again as described below.

If you synced the photos from a Mac computer, see the "Turn off Finder syncing" section of Sync your photos manually using the Finder - Apple Support

If you synced the photos from a Mac computer, see the "Sync or remove content using iTunes" section of Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 2, 2021 6:20 PM in response to Volunteer417

If you synced the photos to the iPhone from a computer, you delete them by syncing again as described below.

If you synced the photos from a Mac computer, see the "Turn off Finder syncing" section of Sync your photos manually using the Finder - Apple Support

If you synced the photos from a Mac computer, see the "Sync or remove content using iTunes" section of Use iTunes to sync your iPhone, iPad, or iPod with your computer - Apple Support

Aug 3, 2021 9:06 AM in response to Volunteer417

Did you click the "Apply" button at the bottom right corner after selecting Remove? It needs to perform the sync process again.

@FoxFifth, when you uncheck the Photos, it now pops up a small dialog box asking if you want to remove or keep them, or cancel. After you select one of the options, The "Apply" button needs to be clicked to complete the removal.

Aug 3, 2021 8:42 AM in response to Volunteer417

Sorry, I haven't used iTunes to sync or remove photos since iCloud Photos was released and at that time there was no Remove button. Photos were removed at that time by using the Apply button after changing the selection of photos to be synced. Hopefully Phil can help and if not, there is a Contact Support button at the top right of this page.

Other than that, you may want to try syncing one new photo to the phone and then try the Remove option again -- I haven't ever done that since the Remove album but it may be worth a try. If you have 3 albums previously synced and you sync 1 new album without including the previously selected album, that deletes the 3 albums that were previously synced.

deleting photos on my iphone 11 pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.