You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MY IPHONE 12 PRO MAX CAMERA STARTED SHOWING GREEN/PURPLE LINES WHEN I ZOOM ABOVE 2.4X

Hello there, hope everyone's doing well.

I don't know why but suddenly my iPhone's (12 Pro Max) camera started showing green/purple lines when I zoom above 2.4x. It happens on all camera modes i.e Photo, Portrait, Video.

I'm unable to figure out what the issue is because 4 months back I bought this brand-new phone, and in the meanwhile, my phone didn't drop - not even once. Everything seemed perfectly fine it just started to happen suddenly, so that's quite a bad impression coming from a company like Apple.

I'd appreciate if someone please tell whether the issue is related to software or hardware? And how can I fix the issue? Much thanks!

P.S: Click this to see the images/videos of the issue

Posted on Aug 3, 2021 9:32 AM

4 replies

Aug 4, 2021 7:54 AM in response to mario49

Hi mario49,

No, it does not happen in apps like Instagram or Facebook, because I think only iPhone's built-in camera app allows zooming above 2.4x (not sure about that but I think so). And I only face this issue when I zoom above 2.4x using iPhone's built-in camera.

And yes, the issue continues even after restarting.

However, I haven't restored the iPhone to factory settings. I will let you know after doing/checking that.

P.S: Much thanks! :)

Aug 4, 2021 7:28 AM in response to emmanzee

Hello emmanzee,

It appears that green lines are appearing in the camera of your iPhone when zoomed in.

Does this happen in all apps that use the camera? For example, Instagram, or FaceBook?

If you restart, does the issue continue? Power cycle the iPhone using these instructions: Restart your iPhone - Apple Support. While simple, this can refresh the iOS, apps and connections. 

To isolate the problem to either hardware or software, back up the iPhone, restore the iPhone to factory settings, test it, and then restore the backup.

Because this step is going to remove everything from your iPhone, be sure you have a backup. The instructions for creating a backup can be found by clicking on this link: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch - Apple Support

Restore the iPhone to factory settings by following these instructions: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support  Be sure to set up as new, and do not restore a backup at this time.

Once the iPhone is set up as new, test to see if the issue returns. If the issue continues, then it is most likely a hardware issue. If everything works as expected, then restore the backup and confirm that it continues to work correctly. Here are instructions on how to restore from a backup: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup - Apple Support

Cheers.

MY IPHONE 12 PRO MAX CAMERA STARTED SHOWING GREEN/PURPLE LINES WHEN I ZOOM ABOVE 2.4X

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.