You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The "On My Mac" Mail Folder Location

Don't know if this is specific to Big Sur, but here's my question.

At one time I used both an iMac and a Windows Dell laptop (had to do with hobby related software available only on Windows). I started using Thunderbird as an email client because I could locate the "Local Folders" on Dropbox and that way have access to all my stored emails on both platforms. The Dell laptop died a short time ago and I decided not to replace it and just purchased a MacBook Pro with Big Sur installed. Happy with the choice by the way as I purchased my first Apple computer way back in 1984 when they were still called "Macintosh."

I would love to use Apple Mail but can't find any information on where where in Big Sur those folders are located (the iMac is still on Catalina) or if its even possible to store those "On My Mac" Apple Mail folders on Dropbox.

Any help would be appreciated (like could those folders possibly be stored on iCloud rather than Dropbox).

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 3:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 4, 2021 4:27 PM

The files are stored in ~/Library/Mail/V7/ in a subfolder with a unique ID for the name. You can open each and see which "account" that folder holds. Sometimes you can tell from the subfolder names, but otherwise you might need to dig inside each and see what messages are in there.

I have no idea if it would work if synchronized with Dropbox.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 4, 2021 4:27 PM in response to MargeHomer

The files are stored in ~/Library/Mail/V7/ in a subfolder with a unique ID for the name. You can open each and see which "account" that folder holds. Sometimes you can tell from the subfolder names, but otherwise you might need to dig inside each and see what messages are in there.

I have no idea if it would work if synchronized with Dropbox.

The "On My Mac" Mail Folder Location

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.