You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MBP Mid 2012 non Retina

It’s proof again that MacBook Pro Mid 2012 doesn’t support Mac OS Catalina.

I have upgraded My Mac from existing 4GB of ram to 16GB ram and fed up with hanging issues cursor is dancing on the screen in fact you can’t shutdown immediately. You have to try and spend at least 5-10 minutes to shutdown. I am trying to downgrade my MBP from Catalina to Mojave but apple chat support is not able to guide how do i downgrade and they recommend to use Catalina. I don’t how they recommend but my experience afterwards upgrade ram is totally pathetic.

my recommendation is not to upgrade from sierra or high sierra is good option for older mac

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.13

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:13 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 12:23 PM

Wasim-Khan786 wrote:

I have upgraded My Mac from existing 4GB of ram to 16GB ram and fed up with hanging issues cursor is dancing on the screen in fact you can’t shutdown immediately. You have to try and spend at least 5-10 minutes to shutdown. I am trying to downgrade my MBP from Catalina to Mojave but apple chat support is not able to guide how do i downgrade and they recommend to use Catalina. I don’t how they recommend but my experience afterwards upgrade ram is totally pathetic.
my recommendation is not to upgrade from sierra or high sierra is good option for older mac

I had no issues running Catalina on my mid-2012 MBP...(?) 16GB RAM 500GB SSD

Sure you can revert:

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version
https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mac-help/mh15216/10.15/mac/10.15

or figure out what is going on — you can good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2021 12:23 PM in response to Wasim-Khan786

Wasim-Khan786 wrote:

I had no issues running Catalina on my mid-2012 MBP...(?) 16GB RAM 500GB SSD

Sure you can revert:

Revert your Mac to a previous macOS version
https://support.apple.com/en-lamr/guide/mac-help/mh15216/10.15/mac/10.15

or figure out what is going on — you can good look at your System config. and reveal conflicts or issues, you can download/run this trusted utility https://etrecheck.com

If you need help interpreting the report you can post it here in its entirety in the "Additional Text" box in the editing toolbar below, in your reply.

Aug 7, 2021 1:09 PM in response to Wasim-Khan786

The four most likely issues for a 2012 MBPr are:

1. using a hard drive (healthy or failing)
  2. incompatible memory, or bad memory module or memory slot
  3. software issue
  4. bad hard drive SATA cable

Macs are very picky about the memory they use so it is best to only use memory from Crucial or OWC. Even then make sure to only use the exact part numbers recommended from using the tools on their respective websites to identify the correct memory for your computer. What make & model memory did you install?

@leroydouglas' suggestion for using EtreCheck will help us identify if #1 or #3 is the problem. You can also run the Apple Diagnostics to see if any hardware issues are detected.

MBP Mid 2012 non Retina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.