You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

i have yosemite 10.10.5 on my macbook pro mid 2012, can i directly update to catalina

i have yosemite 10.10.5 on my macbook mid 2012, can i update it directly to catalina

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 5:26 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 7, 2021 5:39 PM

According to this Apple article ..... yes:

macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong. If you are still using the original Apple hard drive there is a possibility you will discover the hard drive is failing since an OS upgrade is very stressful to an old hard drive.

Keep in mind that macOS 10.15 Catalina no longer supports 32 bit apps. If your third party apps are not already 64 bit versions, then make sure that 64 bit versions are available before upgrading macOS. If your third party apps don't have newer 64 bit versions available, then I suggest you uninstall them now while you can use the app's uninstallers since those uninstallers will not work on Catalina. If your third party apps do have 64 bit versions available, then you will most likely need to wait and install the updated versions after the upgrade to Catalina.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 7, 2021 5:39 PM in response to shafi37

According to this Apple article ..... yes:

macOS Catalina - Technical Specifications

Make sure to have a good backup before attempting to upgrade macOS just in case something goes wrong. If you are still using the original Apple hard drive there is a possibility you will discover the hard drive is failing since an OS upgrade is very stressful to an old hard drive.

Keep in mind that macOS 10.15 Catalina no longer supports 32 bit apps. If your third party apps are not already 64 bit versions, then make sure that 64 bit versions are available before upgrading macOS. If your third party apps don't have newer 64 bit versions available, then I suggest you uninstall them now while you can use the app's uninstallers since those uninstallers will not work on Catalina. If your third party apps do have 64 bit versions available, then you will most likely need to wait and install the updated versions after the upgrade to Catalina.

32-bit app compatibility with macOS High Sierra 10.13.4 and later - Apple Support

You should always have frequent and regular backups.

i have yosemite 10.10.5 on my macbook pro mid 2012, can i directly update to catalina

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.