You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Big Sur Installer says brand new external SSD not enough space

Hi, I am trying to install Big Sur onto a brand new SanDisk Extreme 1TB external SSD.

I have created a 980GB partition that is an APFS volume. Theoretically, the Big Sur installer can install directly onto the volume.

However, when I open the Big Sur Installer on my MacBook Air and select the external drive, it says "The current boot volume does not have enough space to install. An additional 3.82GB is needed."

However, it also recognizes that the drive has "979.51GB available."

The partition is completely blank and has no contents whatsoever. macOS recognizes the amount of space, but the Big Sur installer does not allow me to install to it.

Please help. Thank you!

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 2:07 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 2:15 PM

Suggest reformatting on the computer that has the Full Installer on it. Example MBA M1 contains the Full Installer and use the DU to reformat but this time as HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map. Do it Again as APFS and again GUID Partition Map.

Have found the M1 Based computers apply some type of different format to drives versus Intel Based even if both are running Big Sur.

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 8, 2021 2:15 PM in response to macosmonterey

Suggest reformatting on the computer that has the Full Installer on it. Example MBA M1 contains the Full Installer and use the DU to reformat but this time as HFS Journaled with GUID Partition Map. Do it Again as APFS and again GUID Partition Map.

Have found the M1 Based computers apply some type of different format to drives versus Intel Based even if both are running Big Sur.

Big Sur Installer says brand new external SSD not enough space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.