You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best HDMI set for Apple TV 4k gen5

I just bought 2 Apple TV4K (A1842, sn. DY***1WF & sn. DY***1WF) to use with

1. Sony OLED TV (55") KD-55A8G
  2. Panasonic 4K (55") TH-55CX400T

Sony OLED, HDMI, can not be set to 4K Dolby Vision(50hz) or 4K HDR(50hz)

I can set only 4KHDR(50hz).

Panasonic, can not set to any 4K, I can set only 1080

so I would like to know the best HDMI set for both tvs.

thank you so much,

suwat u. 9 Aug 2021

[Personal Information Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 8, 2021 5:19 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 4:34 AM

Kindly advise the correct connection..
-Apple TV4K to Soundbar, Soundbar to TV
or
-Apple TV4K to TV, TV to Soundbar

Either one could work, but to support Dolby Atmos sound from Apple TV, you would be advised to connect as

Apple TV 4K → Soundbar → TV. Use the ARC ports for the connection between the audio system and the TV.

I think my TV Sony OLED KD-A8G (2019), might not be suitable to use 4K Dolby Visions function.

The specifications say that it should be compatible with 4K Dolby Vision.

I will find 18 GBPS+ cable later

Lesser cables may restrict video properties. E.g. Dolby Vision would exceed the bandwidth limits for 4K 60 Hz 4:2:0 for 10 Gbps HDMI cables, and may therefore not be available as a setting on Apple TV, when such a cable is used.

And don’t forget: For 4K HDR use, some TVs (particularly Sony) may need to have their HDMI port configured for “Enhanced” use.

How do I view 4K (60p or 120p) and HDR content from a HDMI device connected to TV? - Sony Support

4K (60p or 120p) picture from an external device is not displaying normally on TV - Sony Support

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2021 4:34 AM in response to suwatu

or

Either one could work, but to support Dolby Atmos sound from Apple TV, you would be advised to connect as

Apple TV 4K → Soundbar → TV. Use the ARC ports for the connection between the audio system and the TV.

I think my TV Sony OLED KD-A8G (2019), might not be suitable to use 4K Dolby Visions function.

The specifications say that it should be compatible with 4K Dolby Vision.

I will find 18 GBPS+ cable later

Lesser cables may restrict video properties. E.g. Dolby Vision would exceed the bandwidth limits for 4K 60 Hz 4:2:0 for 10 Gbps HDMI cables, and may therefore not be available as a setting on Apple TV, when such a cable is used.

And don’t forget: For 4K HDR use, some TVs (particularly Sony) may need to have their HDMI port configured for “Enhanced” use.

How do I view 4K (60p or 120p) and HDR content from a HDMI device connected to TV? - Sony Support

4K (60p or 120p) picture from an external device is not displaying normally on TV - Sony Support

Aug 8, 2021 5:49 PM in response to suwatu

For 4K use, connect Apple TV to a HDMI 2.0 (or better) port on the TV. Some TVs have a combination of HDMI 1.4 and HDMI 2.0 ports, so select the correct one.

For 4K HDR use, connect using 18 Gbps (or better) rated HDMI cables.

For 4K HDR use, some TVs may need to have their HDMI port configured for “Enhanced” use, or “High bandwidth” use. See your TV manuals.

Don’t set your Apple TV video settings for Chroma to 4:4:4, but use 4:2:0 instead. All streaming video is 4:2:0 encoded, so there wouldn’t be any benefit, and the bandwidth cost of 4:4:4 may reduce other video properties (resolution/​frame rate/​dynamic range) available to you.

Aug 9, 2021 6:19 PM in response to Urquhart1244

Thank you so much for your recommendation, I have already changed from 4:2:2 to 4:2:0, I will find 18 GBPS+ cable later.

Currently, I connect Apple TV4k(gen5) to Soundbar Sony HT-Z9F and connect Soundbar to OLED TV Sony KD-A8G via ARC (hdmi3), the maximum setting is 4K SDR (can not go to 4K HDR or 4K Dolby Visions).

I test by connecting Apple TV4k direct to TV, it works, can be set to 4K HDR, 4K Dolby Visions, but the picture is very poor like a dimmed monitor with the yellow screen.

or

thank you so much, suwat u.

Bangkok 10 Aug 2021

Aug 10, 2021 6:03 AM in response to Urquhart1244

Dear Urguhart1244

Connection: Apple TV4K -----> Soundbar -----> TV Sony KD-A8G (use HDMI 3 / ARC)

from Sony Link, now I changed HDMI format from std to enhanced, the enhanced ports are HDMI 2 & HDMI 3 (ARC) 4:2:0, now TV allows me to set to 4K HDR (previously max = 4K SDR). I try to 4K Dobly Visions, but no picture.

Today I just order a 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 cable (Ugreen) from China, I have to wait 1-2 weeks, it said can use it with 4K 120 Hz or 8K 60 Hz. Aliexpress is only 11.58 USD, this brand is OK or I should another brand?

Thank again for your super support, I am lucky to get your recommendation.

Best Rgds, suwat u.

10 Aug 2021 (Thailand)

Aug 10, 2021 6:35 AM in response to suwatu

Today I just order a 48 Gbps HDMI 2.1 cable (Ugreen) from China, I have to wait 1-2 weeks, it said can use it with 4K 120 Hz or 8K 60 Hz. Aliexpress is only 11.58 USD, this brand is OK or I should another brand?

I didn’t know Ugreen before you mentioned them, but they seems like a proper company with good products that do what they advertise them to do.

Aug 27, 2021 11:24 PM in response to suwatu

Yesterday (27Aug21) I received uGreen hdmi 48 gbps and I connect direct from apple tv4k to Sony KD-55G, at hdmi2 (enhanced port), set to 4 k dobly visions, the result is very poor cloudy screen, NetFlix Logo is fade 50%, I set chroma 4:4:4, 4:2:2

Is it possible that my cable is not qualified or my TV might not suitable for dolby visions.

my uGreen hdmi cable on box : support 8k 60hz, or 4k 120hz

so I have to set back to 4k sdr 50hz or 4k hdr 50Hz

I am not sure if I buy again hdmi cable, it would help or not, please advise brand model.

thanks again,

suwat u. 28 Aug 2021

Best HDMI set for Apple TV 4k gen5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.