You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Family Sharing setup

My brother gifted me wirh an imac. He wants to set me up on uis family sharing so we can have access to his purchases. When we tried to set me up but it couldn’t because I have my daughter (9) set up under me. How do we fix this ?

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 6:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 9, 2021 6:09 PM

If you are already part of a Family Sharing group with your daughter then you cannot join another Family Sharing group.

You could need to transfer your daughter to your brother’s Family Group, disband your own Family Group, and then have him invite you again to join it.

See here: link-> Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Then here: link-> Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 9, 2021 6:09 PM in response to ChaseandRocky

If you are already part of a Family Sharing group with your daughter then you cannot join another Family Sharing group.

You could need to transfer your daughter to your brother’s Family Group, disband your own Family Group, and then have him invite you again to join it.

See here: link-> Move a child to another group using Family Sharing - Apple Support

Then here: link-> Leave Family Sharing - Apple Support

Aug 9, 2021 6:35 PM in response to ChaseandRocky

Yes. You can create a new Apple ID for the Mac and use that to join your brother’s Family Group.

Do note, purchases can never be merged with another Apple ID and will be forever tied to the Apple ID that made them.

You will need an email address that has not been used with an Apple ID previously in any capacity.

Follow the steps here: link-> How to create a new Apple ID - Apple Support

You will need to sign out of the App Store, iCloud, Messages and Facetime on the iMac, and sign in with the new Apple ID.

Link-> Sign in with your Apple ID - Apple Support

Family Sharing setup

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.