You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

TextEdit permission issue - cannot save changes

I have a TextEdit (.rtf) file that I update daily to track my work hours, and it keeps telling me I can't save because I don't have permission. The file info says I have permission, though it has a lock on it. Of course, I have unlocked the file in the Info window, but it still tells me that I don't have permission to save; even when info shows unlocked, it refuses to save. I've tried force-quitting and relaunching TextEdit (sometimes that works). I've tried saving a copy and then quitting (sometimes that works, but it's a pain). I've created a new file and trashed the old one more than once. Why is this file persisting in this behavior and how do I stop it? I'm running Big Sur OS11.3.1 but the problem existed in previous versions of OSX.

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.3

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 5:19 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 8:47 AM

Hello, nicolefrombrighton.

It sounds like something is confusing the OS.

I assume rebooting your Mac hasn't cleared the problem, so see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 10, 2021 8:47 AM in response to nicolefrombrighton

Hello, nicolefrombrighton.

It sounds like something is confusing the OS.

I assume rebooting your Mac hasn't cleared the problem, so see if the problem still happens in Safe mode (hold the shift key down at startup). It can take much longer to safe boot (10 min) so be patient.

How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support 

Safe mode forces the OS to clear certain caches and logs and do other miscellaneous housekeeping. It's non-destructive to user data so is safe to do. Very often certain weird software behavior is corrected by simply logging in this way as a troubleshooting method. When you're in safe boot, the machine will not be at its best performance, especially with graphics, but that's normal.

Does the problem persist while in Safe mode?

Exit safe mode by restarting your Mac normally and re-evaluate the issue again.

If the problem is still unresolved, please return here and post a reply and we’ll see what else we can come up with for help.

Aug 10, 2021 1:46 PM in response to nicolefrombrighton

I've never seen the Apply to enclosed items greyed out!?

Might try BatChmod...

Batchmod – Lagentesoft

To get BatChmod to adjust permissions inside of packages, use Finder -> right click on Package -> Show Package Contents. Then you can navigate to the desired subfolder with Finder. Then drag the subfolder to the BatChmod window.

"Apply to enclosed items" always grayed o… - Apple Community

Aug 10, 2021 11:10 AM in response to nicolefrombrighton

oh, I think I found it ... it has my name on it and the little house icon. Yes, it says I have read & write permission — as did the file that's causing the problem. I don't see the gear icon in the Info window, but I do see "apply to enclosed items," which is grayed out. As I'm trying this, the OS is crashing and rebooting. Weird.

Aug 16, 2021 6:34 AM in response to D.I. Johnson

D.I. Johnson — The inability to save cropped up again, after it autosaved at least once (so part of my changes did save). I did a standard reboot and tried again, but the file would not let me save.

I have a new theory about which I had not mentioned — this file has a custom icon that I added in the info window to easily identify it in my directory. Could that be the issue confusing the OS?

I've created a new .rtf file to test this by seeing if the unadorned file works normally.

TextEdit permission issue - cannot save changes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.