You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook pro gets very hot

I have a brand new MacBook pro 16", bought 2 weeks ago, and it is very hot to the touch on the bottom even though I'm using it on a desk, not a soft surface. I'm sensitive to this issue because my last 2 macs have died with the battery swelling so I want to be careful from the start.

I don't hear any fan noise, which either means it's nice and quiet or not running! I've tried elevating the back to get better air circulation.

Now I'm trying to run the diagnostics to see if there's a reported issue with the fan, but it's just been spinning on "Waiting for support..." For an hour.

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 11.4

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 7:59 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 8:27 AM

JulieBookworm wrote:

Thank you, that's very helpful! Here's what I get from powermetrics (after I finally gave up on Diagnostics!)

Fan: 2095.91 rpm
CPU die temperature: 65.49 C
GPU die temperature: 65.00 C

Seems normal.

3 replies

Aug 10, 2021 8:09 AM in response to JulieBookworm

JulieBookworm wrote:

I have a brand new MacBook pro 16", bought 2 weeks ago, and it is very hot to the touch on the bottom even though I'm using it on a desk, not a soft surface. I'm sensitive to this issue because my last 2 macs have died with the battery swelling so I want to be careful from the start.

I don't hear any fan noise, which either means it's nice and quiet or not running! I've tried elevating the back to get better air circulation.

Now I'm trying to run the diagnostics to see if there's a reported issue with the fan, but it's just been spinning on "Waiting for support..." For an hour.

If the Mac is on the fans are on, they idle at ~2000rpm they can ramp up to ~6000rpm and will sound like a jet engine.

The Intel Macs run warm yes, but do a good job of self regulating.

You can see your both fan speed and CPU temp from the Terminal.app copy and paste:

sudo powermetrics -n 1 --samplers smc | egrep -i "FAN|CPU die|GPU die"

Keep your Mac notebook within acceptable operating temperatures

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201640

New MacBook pro gets very hot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.