You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What's the best way to connect USB and SD card hub to my iMac?

When connecting a hub to the back of my MI IMac so I can connect it to other items that have USB and or SD cards for the camera, is it better to get a hub that plunges into the thunderbolt 4 or the C. And does it have to be for the Mi to work ok, there are lots out there

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Aug 10, 2021 1:38 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:16 AM

You can use either a TB/USB-C or a standard USB-A Hub for those devices.

If you go with a USB-A Hub, get the one with blue High Speed USB 3.0 plug.

If you plan on having several devices connected to the Hub at the same time, then you will want one that has it’s own power supply.

Similar questions

2 replies

Aug 10, 2021 1:49 PM in response to kenandbarbara

That's a really odd question, since both Thunderbolt 4 and USB-C use the same type of connector. Anything that fits in one will fit in the other and work.

Thunderbolt 4 is of course faster and can offer more options than the regular USB-C, however the M1 iMac does not have Thunderbolt 4 ports. It has two Thunderbolt 3 ports and two USB-C ports.

When connecting the Hub, its own speed will determine what the port will do. If you get a USB 3.1 Hub it will limit both the USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 ports to USB 3.1 speeds.

If you want the fastest transfer speed, look for a Hub / Dock that offers Ultra High speed SD over Thunderbolt. Like this one: link-> Belkin Thunderbolt 3 Dock Pro - Apple

or this one: link-> https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/docks/owc-thunderbolt-3-dock

You can use the Thunderbolt 3 ports if you need to connect Thunderbolt capable Displays through the dock.

What's the best way to connect USB and SD card hub to my iMac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.