You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

audio / sound slideshow help

Hi all. I'm using OS X Mojave and iMovie 10.1.14. I'm creating a slideshow of still images set to music. However when I'm going to edit or change some of the photos its also effecting the audio - they are independent of each other (no audio is tied to a single photo) so how can I manipulate the photos without creating havoc with my audio? I would be great if I could just "lock" the audio but it doesn't look like that's an option. Please help! Thank you.

Mac Pro

Posted on Aug 11, 2021 12:04 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Sep 1, 2021 3:14 PM

Well, you would need to adjust the duration of the clip to account for the transition. As I mentioned earlier, the sync problems can be handled by doing the audio sync after all of the photo clips are in place.

However, as a workaround, try creating a new project and putting a black background into the main timeline. Drag its duration out to the expected duration of the movie. Put your photos into the upper timeline above the black background. You won't be able to add transitions, but you can add fade-ins and fade-outs by moving your cursor over the photo to reveal fade slider handles on each side of the photos. Move the fade handles to impart fade-ins and fade-outs to the photos. Hold down the Option key to operate the fade handles independently of one another.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Sep 1, 2021 3:14 PM in response to gedneyw

Well, you would need to adjust the duration of the clip to account for the transition. As I mentioned earlier, the sync problems can be handled by doing the audio sync after all of the photo clips are in place.

However, as a workaround, try creating a new project and putting a black background into the main timeline. Drag its duration out to the expected duration of the movie. Put your photos into the upper timeline above the black background. You won't be able to add transitions, but you can add fade-ins and fade-outs by moving your cursor over the photo to reveal fade slider handles on each side of the photos. Move the fade handles to impart fade-ins and fade-outs to the photos. Hold down the Option key to operate the fade handles independently of one another.

-- Rich

Sep 1, 2021 4:57 AM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich. Sorry for the delay I had an unexpected family emergency. When I want to replace a photo in my slideshow - even if I create the replacement photo the exact same length it throw my music out of sync. It makes it fall later in the timeline. this slideshow is about 20 minutes so its very difficult to resync every time I replace a photo. Any suggestions?

Sep 1, 2021 9:22 AM in response to gedneyw

Are you sure that you are replacing a photo with one of the same exact duration? Because if you are then an independent sound clip (one that is not attached to a clip above it) should not in any way be disrupted. Check your iMovie/Preferences and make sure that the Photos duration that is shown is exactly the same as the other photos in your project. This is because if you add a replacement photo it will come in at the duration that is shown in the preferences settings, that might be different than the photo that it is replacing. If that's your situation you need to exit out of the project, change your preferences, and reopen. Or, you can just drag the edge of the replacement photo to adjust it to the duration of the photo that it replaced.

When you replace a photo in the timeline, you drag the replacement photo directly on top of the photo to be replaced. You will then get a drop down menu with a "Replace" option to click on.

If you are still having issues, try deleting preferences. To delete preferences, open iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys and select to delete preferences in the box that appears. iMovie will open in a new library. Reopen your old library to get back to your projects.  Deleting preferences is a safe procedure that will not cause data loss or disruption to your project.

Another thing that sometimes works is to place your photos into a newly created project.

From a work flow standpoint, it is often easier to place your videos and photos in the timeline first, and then add the audio. Or, you can ignore the audio, place all of your images, and then sync the whole project.

-- Rich

Sep 1, 2021 1:03 PM in response to Rich839

Hi Rich. Yes I'm sure the clip is the same. The issue has to do with Transitions and so if I'm replacing a clip of 5.5 seconds, and there is a 1 second crossfade I have to replicate that. so the length changes and throws the audio out of sync. I have selected specific photos that correspond to specific songs so the timing is critical. what's odd is that when I'm editing to a song there is not adjustment to the song - its only when I"m going back trying to replace or update an image.

audio / sound slideshow help

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.