You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Water Damage; Can I erase my phone to sell?

My phone was water damaged. It turns on but the screen doesn't work to touch and i can't use fingerprint access because it restarted. I'd like to be able to sell it for part and have had an offer but I need to wipe it. I may be repeating here, but is there a way of doing this if I can't connect to itunes, internet, open the screen, iclous can't find the phone.

Seems like i've hit a wall so just hoping i'm wrong. Thanks

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:42 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 6:50 AM

Hello,

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately without the iPhone’s screen working and no connection to a computer, there is no way to erase the phone to sell it. Even if you could, you would need to enter the passcode on the iPhone otherwise it would not work or it would still be iCloud Locked after being erased. I see you have an iPhone 8 plus which is still a great phone to use. My advice is to either:

A - Bring the iPhone to Apple to fix the water damaged components and continue to use the iPhone

B - Try to see if Apple or can replace the display only (this is risky since if another component like the logic board fails, then the display replacement would be useless.)

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2021 6:50 AM in response to xKilgoreTroutx

Hello,

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately without the iPhone’s screen working and no connection to a computer, there is no way to erase the phone to sell it. Even if you could, you would need to enter the passcode on the iPhone otherwise it would not work or it would still be iCloud Locked after being erased. I see you have an iPhone 8 plus which is still a great phone to use. My advice is to either:

A - Bring the iPhone to Apple to fix the water damaged components and continue to use the iPhone

B - Try to see if Apple or can replace the display only (this is risky since if another component like the logic board fails, then the display replacement would be useless.)

Water Damage; Can I erase my phone to sell?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.