You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Moving SSD from old MBP to "new" refurbished MPB (same model)

I have a mid-2012 MacBook Pro that died (water spill) several years ago. I had previously installed my own SSD. I couldn't afford Apple's repairs, so it sat dead for many years while I used other laptops. Now, I've decided I want to recover all the pictures/files/etc. on the old MBP, so I ordered a refurbished MBP (same model, mid-2012, to save money and to avoid complications).

When my "new" MBP arrives, what is the best way to move the SSD from the dead MBP to the new one? Is it as simple as removing and installing in the new laptop? I'm not sure if I have an "up to date" time machine backup of the old laptop. I'm worried I will get the new laptop and it will force me to format the SSD, effectively ruining my plan and losing all of my files. Has anyone ever come across this scenario?

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 5:59 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 7:54 PM

You should just be able to remove the SSD from the damaged laptop and install it into the "new" laptop.

However, you don't have to even buy a laptop. You can remove the SSD from the damaged laptop and connect it to another Mac using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or an enclosure.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2021 7:54 PM in response to tomkimsey

You should just be able to remove the SSD from the damaged laptop and install it into the "new" laptop.

However, you don't have to even buy a laptop. You can remove the SSD from the damaged laptop and connect it to another Mac using a USB to SATA Adapter, drive dock, or an enclosure.

Moving SSD from old MBP to "new" refurbished MPB (same model)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.