You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Transfer from iMac to new Mac mini (external drive)

I'm planning on an M1 Mac mini next week and I'm looking to transfer my data from my current iMac. The problem is that the iMac has a 1 TB drive, with about 55% of that used, and I'm going with 512 on the Mac mini. So I don't want to transfer to the internal drive on the Mini. Can I transfer to an external drive on the mini from the iMac using Migration assistant? Or should I go about this another way? Thanks. Any feedback appreciated.

iMac 21.5″ 4K, macOS 11.5

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 7:45 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 13, 2021 10:52 PM

Hello, Smorticula.

Unfortunately, Migration Assistant will not let you migrate user folders to anything but the startup drive, the internal drive of the mini in this case.

So, the problem becomes what to cull from the current user folder on the old Mac so that the user folder will migrate successfully to the mini. The easy fix for this would be to buy a mini spec'd with a higher capacity storage drive so you don't have to jump through the hoops below.

>• Backup all of your current data to your Time Machine backup drive and put it aside.

>• Make a second copy of all of your data on another external drive by drag-and-drop in Finder.

>• Offload whatever you can of your Documents and Desktop folders to the iCloud drive. Buy more capacity if you need to.

>• Delete the majority of your user data from within your iMac's Home folder, including Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. Delete enough so that you can comfortably migrate your data and still have a minimum of 20% of capacity free in the mini.

>• Setup your new Mac mini using a different user account name. (Because having a second admin user is always a good idea.)

>• Using that new admin account, launch Migration Assistant to migrate your old User account to the new mini and inherit the Time Machine backup.

Now you have your mini setup, it has your old user account and limited data migrated over, and it has a new, empty second admin user account setup (just in case). You can access the rest of your files from the cloud and from your cloned drive. You can potentially reuse the startup drive from your iMac as another external drive if you can have it removed and dropped into an enclosure.

🤯

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 13, 2021 10:52 PM in response to Smorticula

Hello, Smorticula.

Unfortunately, Migration Assistant will not let you migrate user folders to anything but the startup drive, the internal drive of the mini in this case.

So, the problem becomes what to cull from the current user folder on the old Mac so that the user folder will migrate successfully to the mini. The easy fix for this would be to buy a mini spec'd with a higher capacity storage drive so you don't have to jump through the hoops below.

>• Backup all of your current data to your Time Machine backup drive and put it aside.

>• Make a second copy of all of your data on another external drive by drag-and-drop in Finder.

>• Offload whatever you can of your Documents and Desktop folders to the iCloud drive. Buy more capacity if you need to.

>• Delete the majority of your user data from within your iMac's Home folder, including Desktop, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music and Pictures. Delete enough so that you can comfortably migrate your data and still have a minimum of 20% of capacity free in the mini.

>• Setup your new Mac mini using a different user account name. (Because having a second admin user is always a good idea.)

>• Using that new admin account, launch Migration Assistant to migrate your old User account to the new mini and inherit the Time Machine backup.

Now you have your mini setup, it has your old user account and limited data migrated over, and it has a new, empty second admin user account setup (just in case). You can access the rest of your files from the cloud and from your cloned drive. You can potentially reuse the startup drive from your iMac as another external drive if you can have it removed and dropped into an enclosure.

🤯

Transfer from iMac to new Mac mini (external drive)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.