You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Early 2014 MacBook Air Random Shutdowns

Hi all, I wonder if anyone can please offer me any assistance.

I've been having a lot of trouble with my Early 2014 MBA and random shutdowns. It started right after I installed Big Sur. The symptoms are:

1. Occasionally, MBA won't turn on at all. When it does (Apple Logo and Start sound) it will shutdown.
  2. If it does start, it will seem to be all fine and then randomly turn off. There is no apparent reason for it (no specific pattern, applications etc...).

I've done extensive research online, including on this forum, but can't find a solution. I have tried lots of things and whilst it does seem to be much better now, I may be tempting fate and I fear it may do the same again soon. That said, the only major symptom at this time is that the laptop takes a while to 'get going' and eventually starts after 3-4 attempts (Apple logo and then random shutdown a few times and then a normal boot).

Only error logged for shutdown cause is (occasionally - not all the time) 'Previous Shutdown Cause' -128 (Non specific hardware).

Here's what I've done/checked:

• Full system wipe and restore to fresh and clean install of Catalina (Downgrade from Big Sur).
  • Disabled AppleThunderboltNHI.kext. Csrutil enabled and disabled, no difference.
  • Apple Hardware Test pass with a couple of minor exceptions.
  • Etrecheck Pass (No major issues other than 'Your machine is obsolete').
  • CPU - Load Testing Completed and successful with temperature okay. This (to me) rules out Logic board as system is working but intermittent when starting up. Replaced Thermal Paste.
  • Battery - Replaced with new - Correct Performance.
  • GPU - As with CPU, Thermal Paste replaced and heatsink inspected - passed.
  • Fan - Is working, heatsink is working however, fan is suspect.  Possibly overheat on startup causing shutdown. Not 100% sure if fan is running on start every time (it does seem to jam occasionally). Manually set to run in certain temperature range and it does work.
  • Memory - seems okay and passes memory tests including Memtest (Rember) and Apple Hardware Test. Reset countless times.
  • SSD - Working and correct, repaired with first aid and recently reformatted and fresh Catalina install.
  • Power Adaptor - Seems fine but could be suspect MagSafe charger shorting due to minor cosmetic damage.
  • Physically cleaned the system inside and out.
  • Apple SMC - Has been reset countless times.  Appears to be working normally.  Has latest firmware installed.
  • Tried disabling Sleep.
  • Tried running various 'NoCrashMBP'-type scripts and automator scripts as recommended online - no difference. Although, to be fair, I haven't actually tried NoCrashMBP itself (don't want to pay $10!).
  • There's no third party apps running in the background.

I'm truly out of ideas but, as I said, it does appear to be working at the moment except the fact it currently takes a few attempts to switch on...

Any ideas or anything that others have tried for a similar model? I'm not getting it serviced and don't intend on buying a new logic board but any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Thanks very much!

MacBook Air

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 9:21 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 14, 2021 9:41 AM

Bad (flaky) memory, processor fault, those “a couple of minor exceptions” are less than minor, bad (flaky) graphics, bad (flaky) cable, overheating (fan involved or otherwise), materials degradation / corrosion, etc.

I’ve met thermally-sensitive memory chips and other parts (works fine when cool, push it hard (hot) for crashes), sketchy cables, transient processor faults, bad graphics galore, and diagnostics that missed faults.

Also consider the “sunk cost” fallacy… This is a seven year old Mac, and absent sentimental value, not all that great an investment for repairs… you’re on course for replacing all of this Mac… with a different seven year old Mac.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 14, 2021 9:41 AM in response to Bluenag

Bad (flaky) memory, processor fault, those “a couple of minor exceptions” are less than minor, bad (flaky) graphics, bad (flaky) cable, overheating (fan involved or otherwise), materials degradation / corrosion, etc.

I’ve met thermally-sensitive memory chips and other parts (works fine when cool, push it hard (hot) for crashes), sketchy cables, transient processor faults, bad graphics galore, and diagnostics that missed faults.

Also consider the “sunk cost” fallacy… This is a seven year old Mac, and absent sentimental value, not all that great an investment for repairs… you’re on course for replacing all of this Mac… with a different seven year old Mac.

Aug 14, 2021 9:54 AM in response to MrHoffman

Thanks so much for reading and replying. I totally agree with the sunk cost - this isn't something that I'd replace any of the major components on because it just isn't worth it. The battery replacement is my limit. It really was just a project to get it working again and give to a family member to use but it would need to 'just work' for them :).

I probably already knew in my heart that it was probably a flaky component somewhere that would mean main board replacement.

I'll maybe stretch to a £5 fan replacement but not necessarily a new magsafe which is maybe where I'm leaning to begin with.

I've pushed it temperature-wise and it seems fine now but I don't know. I've ran as much continuity testing as I can on the hardware and there isn't much corrosion. I was thinking maybe reflow the main board but you're right - it's a lot of effort for a 7 year old Mac!

I think I was maybe hoping for a 7-year old MBA smoking gun that I'd missed!

Aug 14, 2021 10:11 AM in response to Bluenag

I’ve located heat-flaky components with the use of a heat gun. Memory, mostly. This mostly with older gear too, as it’s only gotten easier to permanently crisp newer boards. Definitely not an approach I’d recommend.

From your description, I’ll assume you’ve examined the solder connections and traces, which means the main board swap is probably next.

I’d tend to spend the remaining budget on an iPadOS-14 capable used/refurb’d iPad here, as a gift. Just make sure it’s not Activation Locked.

Early 2014 MacBook Air Random Shutdowns

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.