You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook using iMac as an External Monitor with Thunderbolt

I am wondering how/if it is possible to use your iMac as an external monitor while using a thunderbolt 2 to thunderbolt 3 adapter connected to a MacBook. The Imac I am using is a 2013 and cannot be updated any further past High Sierra (where I am running into some issues). I would love to hear any possibilities of making this work. Thanks.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 10.14

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 7:36 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 8:47 AM

Only certain iMac’s models can be used as a display for another Mac.

Likewise only certain older Mac’s can use a supported iMac as a display.

please carefully read > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In most cases it is more user friendly, more energy efficient and cheaper to just get an aftermarket external display for the MacBook.

7 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 8:47 AM in response to ImactoMacbook

Only certain iMac’s models can be used as a display for another Mac.

Likewise only certain older Mac’s can use a supported iMac as a display.

please carefully read > https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204592

In most cases it is more user friendly, more energy efficient and cheaper to just get an aftermarket external display for the MacBook.

Aug 15, 2021 2:39 PM in response to den.thed

Remember that what your are trying to do, Target Display Mode, has been harder to use since Thunderbolt cable replaced mini-display ports and cables, so it has not been a slam-duck even on supported computers. A standard external monitor also allows extended desktop; Target Display Mode only mirrors.

The costs of Thunderbolt cabling and adapters required can exceed the cost of a new flat-panel monitor.

MacBook using iMac as an External Monitor with Thunderbolt

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.