You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AA imac rechargeable mouse batteries

I have a wireless mouse and keyboard. I purchase rechargeable batteris (AA) for this some years ago and they are dying so I need replacements. I have found that standard AA's won't work - they have to be Mac/Apple specific. These do not seem to be available at Apple anymore. Can anyone tell me which brand will work please. I know off the shelf rechargeable won't work.

Thankyou

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 5:57 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Aug 15, 2021 6:20 PM

Hello, Shark Whisperer.

I believe you are mistaken. Apple's AA battery powered wireless keyboards and mice do not require anything but standard AA size batteries. There is no Mac/Apple specific requirement.

Any rechargeable AA battery will work - Duracell, Eveready, Energizer, even off-brand standard AA size batteries.

I don't understand why you believe the off the shelf batteries don't work. I have had several AA powered Apple keyboards and mice over the years and never used an Apple branded battery.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat. 😃

EDIT - I'd love to know the model number(s) of the devices you need these Apple specific batteries for.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Aug 15, 2021 6:20 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

Hello, Shark Whisperer.

I believe you are mistaken. Apple's AA battery powered wireless keyboards and mice do not require anything but standard AA size batteries. There is no Mac/Apple specific requirement.

Any rechargeable AA battery will work - Duracell, Eveready, Energizer, even off-brand standard AA size batteries.

I don't understand why you believe the off the shelf batteries don't work. I have had several AA powered Apple keyboards and mice over the years and never used an Apple branded battery.

If I'm wrong I'll eat my hat. 😃

EDIT - I'd love to know the model number(s) of the devices you need these Apple specific batteries for.

Aug 15, 2021 6:38 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

I have an Apple rechargeable battery & charger set that I bought new in 2010. It all still works well, although battery recharge life is not (never has been) as long as the life of off the shelf, non-rechargeable AA alkaline batteries. Over the years I have seen talk here on this forum about some rechargeable battery brands not working well, or at all, with the Apple Magic mouse, apparently due to minor over-all length variations. You may want to consider this but I have never experienced these issues as I have only used the Apple set I referred to (or regular non-rechargeable AA batteries). For what it is worth, the rechargeable Apple brand batteries I have measure 1.980" to 1.983".

Aug 15, 2021 8:40 PM in response to Shark Whisperer

D.I.J, inspired by the offer of hat-eating, I have fired up my memory banks to narrow down the exact issue from 4 or 5 years ago. I recall now was related to the minute differences in battery length. I have now tried a few alternates out and have a new recharger, which is compatible. So It seems the problem has worked itself out with the passage of time, and I should have done a test before shouting for help.

Thank you, I wish you and your hat a long and safe life together.

AA imac rechargeable mouse batteries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.